Trump Spokesmonster Scottie Nell Hughes: 'There's No Such Thing as Facts'

Anyone who understands the film Rashoman (among other things) knows that SOME things can be difficult to pin down as “facts,” according to any one opinion or set of opinions. That’s just acknowledgement of the nuanced nature of things, like feelings, culture, consciousness, etc. However yes, in the sense we are all talking about here, there are certainly facts, and there are certainly LIES LIES LIES. I just wanted to point out that SOME things can get into more nuance than “there is always an ultimate discernible fact.”

8 Likes

For some reason Trump’s spokesladies always seem to look like Laura Dern in Blue Velvet…

14 Likes

It wouldn’t AT ALL shock me if Mein Kampf was perhaps one of the ONLY books Trump has read cover to cover.

5 Likes

Sad to see that today…don’t know if you saw, but the actor who played Mañuel in that show has just died.

10 Likes

THIS. All of this may be “according to the plan,” or at least A plan, and less of a random election than we are thinking.

1 Like

I really think you may be on to something big here. I really mean that.

4 Likes

I was listening to the diane rehm show when she was on. I went on twitter and saw that Hughes was trying to defend her statements by linking to the this article about a study: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2014/10/24/could-non-citizens-decide-the-november-election/

First, it is a study and not a fact. If a “trained journalist” doesn’t know the difference then we are in trouble.
Secondly, in the very first paragraph the article states:

Note: The post occasioned three rebuttals (here, here, and here) as well as a response from the authors. Subsequently, another peer-reviewed article argued that the findings reported in this post (and affiliated article) were biased and that the authors’ data do not provide evidence of non-citizen voting in U.S. elections.

So the question is, does she really think this is a “fact” or does she know she is lying? I’m not sure which is worse.

4 Likes

Indeed! And how is science supposed to work if “facts don’t matter?” Especially when some of the most important science being done is trying to figure out how to save this sorry planet?

4 Likes

I saw :disappointed_relieved: I found the Basil gif while I was looking for a Manuel one

5 Likes

Yep, this mindset has been around for a long time. The weird thing is, if you lie enough to enough people, you can get the reality you want.

3 Likes

liked for the talking heads reference.

4 Likes

you have a beautiful mind and i respect, admire, and love that about you. i absolutely want you on my team.

8 Likes

"WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"

• George Orwell, “1984”
11 Likes

The glass has 4 ounces of wine in it.

7 Likes

Not when I get through with it.

:slight_smile:

17 Likes

22 Likes

Not to worry, the bottle has more.

And the store is half a block away!

6 Likes

In the current political climate, I think that translates to “the glass is much too empty, and I really need a refill”.

10 Likes

I wonder whether we’re giving the Scottie Nell Hugheses of the world a little too much credit. Are they really making epistimological claims about the nature of truth? Or are they just saying, “We don’t care what’s true because it’s irrelevant to us getting what we want”?

That’s awful and terrifying, but I’m not sure it represents a sophisticated attitude toward truth.

16 Likes

These days, we’re in scotch country

8 Likes