There once was a man from Nantucket.
Wasn’t Trump - his hands are too small.

4 Likes

thanks for your concern. it was a joke.

3 Likes

USA! USA! USA!

Indeed.

1 Like

Do you think it’s possible that the “plight” many of these people are currently battling is that they are bigoted, vile people who are willing and eager to be goaded by a huckster demagogue appealing to their worst natures, and are willing to burn down the country’s best values in order to spite their perceived enemies?

7 Likes

Gary O’Donoghue, who was the reporter at the event is blind. He did an interview for Bloomberg later: “I have been spat at before. They hurl abuse at American colleagues in particular.”

O’Donoghue is a fantastic reporter and quite obviously blind, yet these scum spit on him.

The Trump campaign is saying the attacker was obviously drunk - so why was he allowed in? Anyway, I’m sure Republican thoughts and prayers have ensured that Jesus has forgiven him by now.

7 Likes

I like money.

1 Like

Absolutely that’s a possibility. There’s even research to suggest that poverty is correlated with racist attitudes. Again, try to ask yourself why these people are so bigoted. Desperate people tend to be the easiest marks for hucksters, conmen, and grifters of all kinds.

2 Likes

And the only acceptable answer to that question is “a lot of reasons.” Some of them are “economically anxious” and feel like some bullshit mixture of white nationalism is going to bring back high-paying factory jobs because they are idiots. Some of them are just terrible people who enjoy being pandered to by another terrible person. Others have different reasons, all in some sui generis mix.

But at this point in 2019, honestly, just fuck 'em. I honestly don’t care to examine the bullshit rationalizations of the people in his El Paso crowd any more than I care to re-read one of the thousand think-pieces from the last two years about how we need to empathize with these cretins instead of with the people who are being hurt by Trump’s demagoguery. If you (not literally you please don’t misunderstand) are throwing your lot in with these people at this point, you no longer receive the benefit of the doubt and get to pretend that you’re just interested in shaking up the establishment.

3 Likes

“Finish the Wall.”

Good one.

Wait, so the chants of “Tell the truth!” were actually calls to stop quoting Trump? That makes sense, so I better add an /s.

Obviously, there will be a variety of answers, some economic, some social, but overall, in my not-so-humble opinion the prime reason is that so long as someone is lower on the societal totem than they are, they are alright. So, they need to assure that they have someone to piss on, and have been convinced that POC’s (or whatever minority du jour) is the chosen pissee. To put it in words heard in my neck of the woods on occasion, “If you ain’t better than a n****r, who are you better than?”

1 Like
7 Likes

They’re already shooting protestors and calling in bomb threats.

It’d logically follow that they’ll fucking riot with torches and pitchforks if they don’t get their way.

3 Likes

Can’t get to this one because of the paywall. Would be interested in the analysis though.

It’s time to bust the myth Most Trump voters were not working class. - The Washington Post.pdf (361.6 KB)

Pulled down a PDF copy of the article

5 Likes

So what do we do with this information now? How do you as Americans prevent this from happening again?

I’m not sure. Fixing our election process and getting rid of gerrymandering would be a great start. Maybe just use counties as voting districts.

But it turns out that pandering and being nice to trump supporters really doesn’t change anyone’s mind. Probably nothing will change trump supporters minds because it’s nearly impossible to reason people out of positions they can’t be reasoned into.

And if elections were fixed to better represent the will of the people we wouldn’t need to change their minds anyway since trump won the election on the order of negative 3 million votes.

1 Like

Who said anything about pandering or being nice to them?! I was suggesting that you should fix the institutional, systemic issues that created the conditions for these people to vote trump into office in the first place.

Starting with addressing gerrymandering would be a good use of your time. What about some of the measures AOC is proposing?

2 Likes

They’re getting down to imbecilic bedrock.