Trump supporters turn against him for promoting vaccine: He's a "New York liberal"

Also, I’m fairly sure most of these people don’t actually read the Bible, they just get bits and pieces from their preachers that reinforce all of their existing prejudices and self-satisfaction.

14 Likes

I see it as less “endorsing science” than “trying to figure out a way to claim credit for the vaccines that are gradually turning the tide against this horrific pandemic.”

16 Likes

Of course.
I missed the grift there.

8 Likes

I could be choosing love. I could be choosing to live long enough to enact vengeance. I really haven’t given any real indication of which :slight_smile:

(ok, ok, it is love, although she has drunk more then her fair share of the fancy/expensive grapefruit soda, so also vengeance, I plan on eating “too many” donuts)

Edit: misspelled “choosing” as “chewing” in the second sentence.

6 Likes

Snatching the shot away from someone more deserving was probably the main appeal of it to Eric.

6 Likes

I’d be kidding myself if I thought that asking a possibly insular group of likely local “regulars” (peer pressure?) in one small diner a bunch of touchy questions or asking them for a show of hands, would nail down some new general turnabout as far as Trump support. Looking up the demographics of anti-vaxxers, the diner crowd at least superficially appear to check off a few boxes there; they may by and large have been hard anti-vaxxers before Trump shit-plopped onto the scene.

And that one fellow (who rhetorically questioned why anyone would listen to "… a New York liberal) did explain his reason for voting for Trump: “He was the best option.” That response can mean a lot, or not much of anything, but it does hint at some personal rationalized compromise, one that could cheerfully welcome Trump’s racism and turn a blind eye to his Yankee origins — and to his vaccine promo.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Boise City, OK is in Cimmaron County, the only county that touches four other states. I had occasion to drive through there in 2019. It has very little to recommend it, although I thought the court house was charming.

3 Likes

I think the reporter was doomed from the moment he announced himself in that diner. Likely, being from CNN instantly put everyone on edge and no matter what he said, they were going to take a contrarian stance, even to the point of spouting nonsense. Also, likely, the reporter was counting on this for his story.

5 Likes

Try more than 30 years ago.

On May 1, 1989, Donald Trump, then a real estate magnate, called for the return of the death penalty for murder in full-page advertisements published in all four of the city’s major newspapers. Trump said he wanted the “criminals of every age … to be afraid”.[2][43] The advertisement, which cost an estimated US$85,000 (equivalent to $175,000 in 2019),[2][43] said, in part,

Mayor Koch has stated that hate and rancor should be removed from our hearts. I do not think so. I want to hate these muggers and murderers. They should be forced to suffer … Yes, Mayor Koch, I want to hate these murderers and I always will. … How can our great society tolerate the continued brutalization of its citizens by crazed misfits? Criminals must be told that their CIVIL LIBERTIES END WHEN AN ATTACK ON OUR SAFETY BEGINS[44]

According to defendant Yusef Salaam, quoted in a February 2016 article in The Guardian , Trump “was the fire starter” in 1989, as “common citizens were being manipulated and swayed into believing that we were guilty.”[45] Salaam said his family received death threats after papers ran Trump’s full-page ad urging the death penalty.[45]

17 Likes

Pssst… pass it on… Boise restaurants sell food contaminated with “stuff” in it. Just saying…
Stuff that’ll make babies be born nekked…
So, if you’re traveling through Boise anytime soon and you happen to eat their food, think of the trauma your child may have to endure when they find out (and they will) that another tragic birth injury from eating restaurant food in Boise resulted in their being born, brought into the cruel, cold world… without a single stitch of clothing on them. Think before you eat. Remember, nekked babies can be prevented if you avoid Boise restaurant food while you are contemplating pregnancy or have one " in the oven"…

5 Likes

Are you saying they threw him under the bus? Dear Leader?
But Trump would NEVER thro…oh. NVM.

5 Likes

Oh the irony! It’s so delicious! Shoot the irony directly into my veins!!

4 Likes

Someone has to be eaten first. Here’s a whole town that is volunteering. Only thing is, they need to keep their rona to themselves. Perhaps this is a good time for a later day version of the leper colony.

2 Likes

“He was the best option”

tom hiddleston omg GIF

11 Likes

Every conservative talking point boils down to a simple concept: us versus them. If they don’t live HERE, if they don’t think the way WE do, if they don’t worship the same way, if they don’t LOOK like us, they are “them” and will be mocked and scorned and treated like shit unless they kiss our asses endlessly.

The worst treatment I ever got growing up in small town didn’t come from the coastal elite mocking me. It came from my peers mocking me. They mocked the way I looked, the way I dressed, my family’s poverty, my brother’s intellectual disability… endless amounts of hatred for anyone not exactly like them. Is it any wonder I couldn’t wait to move away when I grew up, become more liberal and progressive as I aged, became an atheist? No, it’s no wonder at all given the hatred spewed even though I’m a white cis-gender male. And I got off easy. Their racism towards minority members of our small town were far worse and often more violent.

17 Likes

Malthus Award?

4 Likes

There is one woman with her hand up in the video.

The guy in the tie-dye t-shirt though, Christ. “That’s just my choice” is not an answer to “why won’t you take the vaccine?”

1 Like

That’s the problem: if it were just them, well then, their life, their responsibility and their funeral.
But as some other commenters pointed out, a large pool of unvaccinated fools will be a boiling cauldron of uncontrollable variants for a looong time. Further, those same fools will be a walking danger to anyone who cannot be vaccinated: the very young, the immuno-depressed, the sick and so on.
Thanks to them (and they are all over the damn world!) this emergency is going to last way, way more than it could have, and be more severe too.
Thanks a million, you bunch of geniuses, you.

6 Likes

Makes me think of the line from the 2004 reboot of Dawn of the Dead: “America always sorts its shit out”… before the zombie plague wipes everything out.

1 Like