Trump the Chump (Part 1)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/books/1984-george-orwell-donald-trump.html

6 Likes

And Hannah Arendt’s On Totalitarianism is sold out on Amazon right now:

5 Likes

Maybe he just used a cheap excuse to get his tiny little mitts on her.

1 Like
4 Likes
1 Like

Apparently, it involves George Soros.

1 Like

Has that one been suggested yet for next book club?

1 Like

May Trump one day understand his crimes and fully empathize with all of his victims. And may he somehow live a long, long, long time with that knowledge.

9 Likes

Should be… of course, the last book club sort of fell apart.

1 Like

Is this a little like people googling Brexit the day after the vote?

8 Likes

True, but this one would be on point, and a great springboard for people to post corroborating real-time information.

2 Likes

Archive.org has it.

2 Likes

The book? That helps for people who don’t have a copy and can’t find it…

2 Likes

Trump officially has with his own words called the media the opposition party, and is focusing on how jobs leaving the country (easily one of the most heavily reported stories in the past few decades) is underreported falsely to say his racism should be allowed.

He is literally on the border of calling it a muslim ban himself.

11 Likes

Does he mean the slow process that happened over 4 decades, that both republicans and democrats presided over? And CEOs in corporations who benefited from off shoring? [quote=“emo_pinata, post:803, topic:74039”]
He is literally on the border of calling it a muslim ban himself.
[/quote]

Let’s hope he does, as making his intent clear (which, frankly, Guiliani already did) will make it easier to oppose in the courts. Doesn’t pass constitutional muster, remotely, if the intent is to ban Muslims (though it tramples other constitutional issues, too).

6 Likes

I think it shows that the Constitution needs tightening up. Trump’s behaviour should be explicitly banned, not just relying on custom. Time for a new Amendment.

7 Likes

[quote=“Mindysan33, post:804, topic:74039”]
Does he mean the slow process that happened over 4 decades, that both republicans and democrats presided over? And CEOs in corporations who benefited from off shoring?
[/quote]Not to mention that there are two significant unacknowledged reasons: the rapid increase of technology and foreign corporations crushing the market (and the self-interested CEOs that let them). Offshoring is one of the most complex aspects of the global economy, and goes beyond “those people living in squalor are cheaper to pay.” I can tell you that China is on the border of losing it’s dominance in manufacturing, and Trump is probably riding the wave at just the wrong time to temporarily bring manufacturing back to the US until the next manufacturing giant comes alone - which scares me a bit.

I know that places like South Dakota were already seeing a bump in manufacturing for small parts in high volumes, and larger sheet metal and forged material works has been shipped to Mexico from China. The problem is that by the time Trump takes all the credit for something that easily predates him the jobs will be flooding to who knows where and the damage in every other area of life would have been done already and maybe permanently.

There is no fix for manufacturing in America. It will always be around in small numbers and never, ever come back the way people want it to. It’s also not the reason why Americans in post-war America “had it good,” it was just the jobs that were available were in manufacturing.

1 Like

If we can get through this shit show, maybe we can get one.

1 Like

Indeed. We’re not going to fix it by strong-arming individual corporations into keeping their plants here. We need a more productive way forward than this knee-jerk reaction to jobs evaporating.

I suggest a thin, poignent, and lucid tome.