Trump the Chump (Part 1)

Ahahahaha! :smiley_cat:

My favorite so far:

As Alexandra Petri wrote in an opinion piece for the Washington Post, “His were the eyes of a man who has gazed into the abyss, and the abyss gazed back, and then he endorsed the abyss.”

13 Likes

Given the likely options on the presidential ticket, endorsing the actual abyss might be right.

1 Like

I plan to close my eyes and think of the many, many judicial, departmental and cabinet appointments. :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

Drumpf/Google story from Tuesday linked deep in the NYT daily briefing this morning!

‘Donald Drumpf’ Is Beating Rubio and Cruz for Second in Google Searches

By JUSTIN WOLFERS
MARCH 1, 2016

It’s unsurprising that “Donald Trump” has been the most searched-for candidate in the United States over the past 24 hours.

More surprising: The runner-up is neither Marco Rubio nor Ted Cruz. Instead, that honor goes to “Donald Drumpf.” The comedian John Oliver mocked Mr. Trump by urging the audience of his HBO show Sunday night to adopt the candidate’s real family name.

And so I’m led to conclude — with my tongue somewhere in the vicinity of my cheek — that Mr. Oliver and his #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain movement has executed a more successful campaign than either Mr. Rubio or Mr. Cruz.

Hey! They buried the lede! :wink:

6 Likes

Okay, I’m going to open Google now and basically sign that petition.

2 Likes

The comments to JW’s story are wonderful too.

Here’s the top “NYT Pick” comment:

dredpiraterobts Same as it never was

Wow JK, I never saw that here before. nearly the whole thread is replies to your comment. The thing about your comment is that it proves Oliver’s point.

Drumpf isn’t making fun of the man’s last name but that you see it as such does go to the point that it trumps Trump in your mind.

So happy to see John Oliver so successful in the most unlikely of circumstances! His reports are the best news reports of the entire news Magazine genre. Maybe 2nd to 60 Minutes, alone.

March 1, 2016 at 3:25 p.m.

4 Likes

Smart people can be very good at rationalizing why they believe dumb things. And even harder to dissuade from those beliefs, because why on earth would they even listen to arguments from people who aren’t as intelligent as they are?

1 Like

I think the abyss would have some excellent supreme court candidates lined up.

1 Like

Yes, all of it like the Warren Harding adminstration, Part 2.

Conservative attacks on Drumpf candidacy:

Mr. McCain, once a rival of Mr. Romney’s, effectively linked arms with him soon after his address, saying that he shared Mr. Romney’s dismay about Mr. Trump’s ascent. Referring to a public letter released on Thursday by dozens of conservative national security leaders, who vowed never to support Mr. Trump, Mr. McCain echoed their concerns about Mr. Trump’s “uninformed and indeed dangerous statements on national security issues.” …

1 Like

McCain? He’s full of it.

This was him in Dec:

I hate to get into hypotheticals too much, but I think that if we have a Republican platform, which I think we would, which reflects the principles of the Republican Party … Trump or any person who we nominate would obviously want to get a majority of the vote and that means appealing to the center. … I obviously disagree with Mr. Trump on certain issues, but I think that fight can be had within the Republican Party. I’ve had a strong disagreement and I have made those disagreements well-known. I have disagreements with Senator [Ted] Cruz [of Texas] – I don’t believe we should shut down the government again. I have disagreements with some of the other candidates as well. … We’ll have to see what happens but I will support the nominee of the Republican Party.

1 Like

Scared straight? . . .

Honestly, the GOP needs to just shut down all of this corporate Drumpf and get back to whatever remains of their platform and rebuild. It won’t get easier if they keep waiting around.

And they may need to help satirize and dismantle the “Trump” brand in order to break through all of the mystified thinking.

Corporate brands cannot be permitted to run for political office and, maybe, corporate brands need to be less protected from journalistic scrutiny by libel and other IP related lawsuits.

In the meantime . . .

3 Likes

Donald Drumpf Is Just Barely On Track To Win The GOP Nomination

By AARON BYCOFFE

Donald Drumpf’s Super Tuesday delegate haul was no blowout. He won 254 delegates, Ted Cruz won 217, and Marco Rubio took in 97. But Drumpf beat FiveThirtyEight’s delegate targets, which estimate the number of delegates each candidate needs to win in each contest to be on track to win the nomination. If Drumpf continues to meet or exceed those targets through the remainder of the primaries, he’ll end up with just enough delegates to secure the Republican nomination. …

I quote Mussolini all the time, and Goebbels too. Despite my usernym, I don’t believe in the doctrines of sympathy and contagion! :slight_smile: Whether something is true, meaningful or just illustrative, it doesn’t matter if someone else said it first.

All that being said, attribution is important (Josef Mengele, Brazil, 1977).

I like this thread as a place to find pertinent info to pass on to Trump voters, although I sure wouldn’t send one of them here. Thanks for starting it, @funruly!

2 Likes

While quoting a thing in itself is a neutral act (meaning and context make all the difference there), Trump quoting @ilduce2016 is a hilarious act.

3 Likes

Evil, pure and simple, from the 8th dimension.

7 Likes

Where is this faith in Trump coming from?

He spent 15 years hiding behind lawyers trying to avoid paying into a pension fund for union workers.

He charged thousands of dollars for his “real estate classes” that frankly sounds like the same scam Scientology runs.

He’s opposing unions for bartenders and housekeepers in his own hotel. Same workers he’s also threatened with lawsuits.

There’s ample evidence that Trump abuses power for his own greed and fame. He’s not suddenly going to become a champion for the interests of the common good.

14 Likes

I think the satirical approach John Oliver has picked up has been most effective against extremists over the past 20 years or so.

The corporate brand spell is broken if the brand signifies a joke instead of a tough-talking bad boy.

I’m guessing that’s also why the size of his fingers (???) is more dangerous to the brand than when he urges the U.S. military to commit war crimes.

Remember Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, O’Reilly …

Branding worked the same way for them before Al Franken, TDS and Colbert Report.

After they were more of a joke, their brands were damaged. They were far less desirable to advertisers or as a political endorsement.

For Drumpf, laughter is like tossing water on the the Wicked Witch of the West.

6 Likes

Cue people griping about Hitler comparisons.

7 Likes

It’s important to push back on the false equivalency that satirizing Drumpf is like powerful people attacking vulnerable minority groups.

(There’s are boingboing examples that follow WaPo: John Oliver’s ‘Donald Drumpf’ jokes play on the same ugly xenophobia Trump does )

Punching up (or back) is not the same as punching down.

Joking about a rich powerful corporate executive and POTUS candidate who wants to send your family members to a detention camp is just not the same as that rich powerful corporate executive and POTUS candidate making fun of the people he sent to the detention camp.

The former is pushing back against a bully. The latter is helping a bully to do bullying.

Louis C.K. has tried to explain the urge to suck up to the brand-name bully.

“Please stop it with voting for Trump,” he said at the end of Saturday’s email. “It was funny for a little while. But the guy is Hitler. … Hitler was just some hilarious and refreshing dude with a weird comb over who would say anything at all.”

“I’m saying this now because if he gets in there we won’t be able to criticize him anymore,” the comedian said.

‘It’s like a big hit off of a crack pipe’

Nihilism may explain Trump’s surge. And Louis C.K. gets that.

The whole field seems like “soft criminal opportunists,” he said. “The whole game feels rigged and it’s not going anywhere but down anymore. I feel that way sometimes.”

A vote for Trump is a way of sticking it to the system, he said. It’s also unhealthy.

“It’s a version of national Suicide. Or it’s like a big hit off of a crack pipe,” he said.

‘He’s a bully’

Trump supporters owe it to their fellow Americans to at least “know and understand who he is,” Louis C.K. said. “Spend one hour on google and just read it all.”

Why did Trump deride McCain’s imprisonment? Simple, Louis C.K. explains.

“He said it because he’s a bully and every bully knows that when you enter a new school yard, you go to the toughest most respected guy on the yard and you punch him in the nose,” he said. “If you are still standing after, you’re the new boss.”

In concluding his long post-script, Louis C.K. made clear that his concerns have little to do with Trump’s politics and more to do with his character.

“Trump is a messed up guy with a hole in his heart that he tries to fill with money and attention,” Louis C.K. said. “He can never ever have enough of either and he’ll never stop trying. He’s sick. Which makes him really really interesting.”

Give Trump another show, let him expand his Trump-themed real estate, Louis C.K. said. “But please stop voting for him.”

12 Likes