Trump the Chump (Part 1)

I recall getting confused when it was explained to me that the Flag Code states that burning the Flag is the preferred method of destruction.

And yes, after some research, I know that the ‘respectfully’ just before that bit, is the difference. Cultural differences are still interesting, though.

1 Like

I recall hearing that too, but I think that’s the difference between cremation of someone’s remains and lighting them on fire while they are still alive.

ETA: Light a man a fire, he’ll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

8 Likes

Oh, absolutely so.

Plus the aforementioned ‘respectful’ bit.

And to be quite fair, I did wish that the pub across-the-way would put the gray, tattered union flag ‘hung’ outside their venue for years out of its misery.

(Thinking about it, I maybe be letting our cynical displays of patriotism around Brexit colour this post. Brexit-y cynicism and sardonicism removed pending a more suitable location for it.)

2 Likes

I forgot about Kill la Kill making a ridiculous parody out of authoritarians a few years ago, it even went into the motivations of why civilians get behind the dictator through the lense of a stylized magical girl parody anime.

1 Like

I didn’t want to derail the other thread where this recently showed up, but…

You know who else has blue eyes?

This keeps running in my head.

1 Like

Flynn’s in trouble.

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/829911119607238656

4 Likes
8 Likes

Well, a business can’t be run like Trumps ‘businesses’. There really isn’t enough booze in the world to deal with this shit.

10 Likes

I look forward to the USA “solving” national debt by declaring Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

6 Likes

This doesn’t sounds good: (twitter thread)

3 Likes

Oh god no, or maybe yes. I have mixed feelings. Normally it would be an insult, but now it would just be part of the shit-storm, possibly sad-funny.

4 Likes

This came up in another thread. The reason it doesn’t bother me that much is because I don’t think ambassadors from and to Canada and the US are terribly important. From our Prime Minister and President right down to our ministry/department staffers, people can pretty much just pick up the phone and reach counterparts in the other nation. If there is anywhere to put a useless crony appointment, ambassador between the two most closely allied countries in the world is probably it

Plus, assuming there are any high hills or buildings around, she might actually be able to see Canada from her back yard.

I am waiting for the POTweet suggesting that he’ll try to ruin those NDP MPs for saying that.

Though to be fair, for all we know he thinks Sarah Palin is an idiot and thinks that position is one you give to an idiot who helped you on the campaign trail but isn’t good for anything.

Wait… why isn’t Chris Christie going to be the next ambassador?

1 Like

Trump has been in the business of barely breaking even as aggressively as possible, without the safety net business has in the government this is what it looks like.

Because he convicted Jared Kushner’s dad.

I guess he might get offered the job of ambassador to Iran or Syria.

3 Likes

Oh lord, I forgot about that. Holy shit, your dad was a crook, don’t shoot the messenger (or do, as long as the messenger is another Trumpist)

2 Likes

The US president’s controversial visit is now expected to run from a Thursday to a Sunday in late summer or early autumn, with officials trying to ensure that Trump is not in London at a time when parliament is sitting, in order to avoid a formal snub.

Officials are also said to be keen to limit the president’s public exposure more generally during the visit, in order to reduce the opportunities for protests and disorder on a state occasion. Hundreds of thousands of protesters could be expected in any large city, causing major headaches for the emergency and security services. This suggests that the president will spend relatively little time in London, while the majority of the visit will be conducted behind as strict a security cordon as possible.

A further issue that has still to be resolved is the extent to which the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be involved in a visit of which, officially at least, she is the host. The couple, who are both now in their 90s, normally spend late August and September at Balmoral in Aberdeenshire and only rarely return to London during their stay.

6 Likes

Look, we are snubbing you, but we’re not formally snubbing you. SO we good?

3 Likes