Trump threatens independent presidential run if Republicans are mean to him

I hear what you’re saying, but there are more complicated dynamics at play. Namely that Trump is forcing his rivals to spend a lot of money for name recognition while he gets free publicity for being an ass. Even if it doesn’t endear him to anyone, the media is not talking about the other guys. There are also secondary dynamics, where people may confuse Trump’s positions with that of other candidates on the Republican side. The Overton window is an interesting and possibly relevant dynamic, but it’s also just one dynamic.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Needs a straw and large glass of something.

13 Likes

16 Likes

I suspect that would only happen if I posted it…

7 Likes

… and the talking heads on Fox rationalizing why it’s all good for the country :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wanting the GOP to lose and being a Democrat do not need to be the same thing. I suspect he wants to blow up the GOP, why else blow so much hot air through so many dog whistles?

3 Likes

Free advertising?

1 Like

On the other hand, isn’t it sad that the media pays attention to Trump?

Nobody should exclude a serious candidate, but Trump’s getting 100000x the coverage of a sincere independent candidate like Sanders.

8 Likes

Because it’s another grifting scheme?

5 Likes

Here’s the thing: Trump does not actually want to be president. He just enjoys the attention, and he has no boundaries on appropriate ways to attract attention.

Since he probably won’t win the GOP nomination, that makes me think the odds are good that he will run as an independent. Until/unless he gets bored, or all the attention he gets is negative (not unlikely).

3 Likes

David Letterman recently noted that Trump shouts his own name during sex.

7 Likes

“Ross Perot.”

Yeah Trump!”?

He was a Democrat, anyway. At least according to Wiki. I can’t be bothered to check. I suspect he’s just whatever gets him the most publicity at the time.

And there’s an elected Republican running for the Democratic nomination.

1 Like

8 Likes

So does Rick Santorum.

1 Like

So, long-story-short, the GOP is completely and totally f@#ked unless Trump’s poll numbers tank before the primaries and he decides to just bow out because it no longer strokes his ego enough.

1 Like

Wait, what? Letterman’s fucked Trump?

5 Likes

Is the Daily Caller a good source? (probably not)

Trump, who was a registered Democrat between 2001 and 2008

2 Likes