Trump to rank coronavirus risk of U.S. counties, tells governors they can decide to relax COVID-19 restrictions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/26/trump-to-rank-the-coronavirus.html

White House plans to label counties across America as “high-risk, medium-risk, or low-risk”

1 Like

With measures like this, soon ranking counties will be very easy: they’ll ALL be “high risk.”

25 Likes

28 Likes

The categories will be as follows:

1. Apocalyptic
  2. Not quite apocalyptic
  3. Really bad
  4. Bad
  5. Not quite as bad yet as #4.

All categories below 2 may resume normal activities until reevaluated.

28 Likes

I’m just glad that so many state governors like Gavin Newsom and Bill de Blasio have been stepping up to take the problem seriously instead of looking to Washington for guidance.

26 Likes

Our mayor issued a stay home order that went into effect today. I am told that he didn’t want to do it, but Friday he drove past a roller rink with multiple kids’ birthday parties in progress.

But this morning we walked past a construction site in our neighborhood where the guys were all there at work. That is a nonessential project for sure, but I guess for the guys on the site it doesn’t feel that way. When you’re self-employed you either work and get paid, or not.

16 Likes

Yeah, I saw a construction site at work as well. To be fair, there weren’t many people, they weren’t going full out apparently, so maybe they were keeping safe. Hopefully.

5 Likes

Until we get more testing, this will be an exercise in “looking under the streetlights.” Unfortunately, it won’t just be a statisticians’ joke.

10 Likes

What a blowhard. I certainly hope most places decide to ignore him, i’m certainly not going to risk my loved ones’ health.

3 Likes

Hopefully the response will be:

tumblr_oe78xpcawv1tv6xlbo1_250|nullxnull

finger|nullxnull

12 Likes

He’s trying to rank disease risk like it’s a mortgage portfolio. Running government as a business, this is what we a bit less than half of us hired sort-of elected him for.

16 Likes

There’s a saying that there are two types of motorcycle riders: those who have crashed, and those who will.

I think we can use the same system to classify counties.

14 Likes

Would that we could fully tally all of the lives he has taken through his action and inaction during the course of his presidency so that we could hold him directly accountable for EVERY. SINGLE. ONE!

12 Likes

That is the published one.
I can’t imagine what was on the drafts that ended up in the “trash can.”

6 Likes

Anybody else notice the ungrammatical capitalization of “National” and “Nation’s” in what is otherwise a grammatically correct document? Dog whistle?

4 Likes

So people in high outbreak areas will flood to the low outbreak area, bringing the virus with them and infecting the locals. What could go wrong?

10 Likes
14 Likes

If your house straddles the county line, is it okay to go out the back door but not the front?

11 Likes

Great. Trump’s going to label all the counties, and tell local authorities to do whatever they were going to do anyway.

“Present!”

2 Likes

Whereas where I live, when asked why the data wasn’t being broken down by community, the response was "because you can assume that it’s everywhere. So please take measures. "

Trump’s plan is going to kill people.

16 Likes