Trump toadies Corey Lewandowski and David Bossie added to Defense Business Board after Pentagon purge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/04/trump-toadies-corey-lewandowski-and-david-bossie-added-to-defense-business-board-after-pentagon-purge.html

4 Likes

Even if you liked Trump, why would anyone take a job like that for just 45 days? Presumably Biden will sack these guys and replace them fairly quickly.

8 Likes

Maybe so they can get business and military secrets, useful for both money making and conducting a coup? It may be more so they can have an embellished resume. Now they both can claim a background in business and the military, so next time around they can be appointed to a business or military post of higher level for a few more months.

9 Likes

I don’t know if this relates to these particular positions but Trump is reportedly rushing to convert a number of jobs that are currently filled with political appointees into permanent civil service positions as a means of ensuring his appointees outlast his administration.

16 Likes

Oh right. I’d forgotten about that mechanism. Have never worked for the federal government outside of a brief stint working on the Hill 30 years ago.

3 Likes

So its like Supermarket Sweep for corrupt functionaries in the Executive Branch. Seeing who can steal the most in the limited amount of time.

6 Likes

It’s all relative. 45 days may seem like a short tenure, but that’s more than 4 Scaramuccis. Or something like 22 Venezuelan presidential terms, based on recent history.

8 Likes

Ah yes! Like measuring my the length of my marriage in Kardashians.

4 Likes

How is Henry Kissinger still alive?

4 Likes

Hell won’t accept him.

18 Likes

I don’t know anything at all about these positions, but can’t Biden just call them up and say “don’t get too comfortable” and then appoint new people in January? Or is the hope that there will be so many appointments that we won’t be able to keep track of them?

1 Like

I am assuming that trump is just handing out security clearances ala Kushner because in the before time it would take much longer than 45 days to get cleared for most types of work in the Pentagon.

2 Likes

Can’t say I feel bad for Kissinger, but at least he knew what he was doing (even if most of the time it was morally reprehensible).

Now we have idiots who think they know what they’re doing and are equally morally reprehensible which makes them even more dangerous.

Rant because it’s been a shitty week and I’m still at work.

Biden’s top priorities (in order) when inducted should be (IMHO):

1. Covid. Mask mandate and any state that objects gets isolated (no airports, trains, highways, etc). New England was doing fairly well until the midwest f’ed it all up.
  2. Fire Barr and figure out WTF was going on at the justice department.
  3. Fire every other single person Trump hired (Lewandowski and Bossie) right down to the interns. If they willingly took a job with this dumpster-fire they lack any sort of personal integrity and need to go.
  4. Stack the SCOTUS. If one side doesn’t want to play fair…
  5. Address the fact that our environment is killing us. It’s too late to save most of us, but we can try. It’s only a matter of time before the next virus thaws out of where it’s been for thousands of years.
  6. Economic redistribution. There’s no reason people should be making $10/hr busting their asses off at a grocery store when some people with even less intelligence who were born into the right family are making $1000000/hr while doing nothing (missing you, Bernie).

There’s more to do, but if Biden can work on those and get congress involved it will suffice for his first 100 days.

2 Likes

Like @Brainspore was saying. If he can convert these from appointment positions, to career civil service jobs. Then anyone sitting in them will be protected by laws intended to prevent servants from being fired for political reasons. Just like Fauci.

They could be pressured out other ways. And it’d be a really big stretch to argue that these people are qualified and competent. So there are obvious grounds for the removal of most of these people. It’s just a much messier, more time consuming process if they’re civil servants instead of appointees.

4 Likes

In 1996, he was among those taken hostage by Tupac Amaru rebels at the Japanese ambassador’s residence in Lima.

I remember seeing a show about that a month or two ago.

1 Like

Perhaps his part-time job helped.

(@fuzzyfungus)

1 Like

Sure, but the pay and the perks will probably be terrible compared to what the people in question would make elsewhere, and there are restrictions on lucrative side ventures (i.e., corruption). They may not want to warm those civil-service office chairs for too long, just out of loyalty to Trump.

2 Likes

Didn’t say it would work out well!

But in terms of pay. Even the base scale for normal civil service jobs closes up on $200k per year for top pay grades, benefits and pension are great. Layer opportunity for all that wonderful graft and it’s a pretty good deal for people who stand a damn good chance of being toxic as fuck after Trump leaves office.

Though I suspect it has more to do with how employment with the government has allowed these people to avoid testimony and questions from investigators. Get em locked in permanantly and that just goes on forever right?

Right?

Again doesn’t seem likely to actually work at all. And you’d have to be Trump to think it would.

3 Likes

I’d say fire them anyway. That’s what 45 would do, and no one would stop him.

9 Likes

THAT doesn’t sound like a weak spot in the system that could be exploited by somebody corrupt :roll_eyes:

6 Likes