Trump Tower has two "privately owned public spaces" that anyone is entitled to visit

[quote=“RickMycroft, post:5, topic:90223, full:true”]A bunch of dead potted trees rates rather less than ‘yeah, okay.’[/quote]Nobody knows trees better than he does. He has the best trees. Talk to the trees, they’ll tell you.

ETA: Get your own name immortalized today on one of tRump’s personal trees for a donation of $2,000.

4 Likes

He has stated that he will live there a significant amount of time…that the White House will be merely his second residence.

That’s how clueless this guy is about what the job entails. If he has to have an emergency meeting with the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the middle of the night, for example, how will he do that from NYC?

8 Likes

What’s the precise legal status of these things? I would assume it is like a mall, where you are let in or kicked out at the discretion of the proprietor?

3 Likes

The Office of the President is basically the Office of Shitty Decisions. Everyone below that office makes the easy decisions for you. What’s for dinner, who’s sitting where, when are you meeting whoever, how are you getting to a meeting, sourcing tickets to a Broadway show, how many men will die to take that hill, these are literally all easy tactical decisions that you pay others for.

The decisions people slide upwards are shitty. This will cool interest rates to allow for increased spending but will likely cause some companies to go bankrupt. This will result in an increased amount of safety but at the expense of putting us into debt. This will kill or maim thousands of American soldiers while to not do it might cause the death of hundreds of civilians.

One of these days he’s going to be asked to make a shitty decision and he won’t be able to put it off on Pence or a general or anyone else, because The Buck Stops Here. He literally has no idea what that means, as it’s always been someone else’s buck on someone else’s desk.

Anyone else in his position would be terrified that it’s come to this, but he doesn’t even know enough to be terrified.

18 Likes

No, it’s a public space. Malls are not public, they are private. Access to it can be controlled, stairs only or something, but if the building lobby is open it is as publicly accessible as Central Park.

6 Likes

George Washington never spent a day in the White House :wink:

The protection of the President and first family is just one of the perks of office. All presidents spend a considerable amount of time away from the White House - either back at their residence, or Camp David, and other locations. Obama was criticized for taking too many vacations and the cost associated with flying everyone and everything somewhere. But in the grand scheme of things, that is such a drop in the bucket, I don’t care. I am sure there are much more important things to be outraged about.

The fact that Trump is charging the Secret Service rent seems assholey… though doing a bit of research, 1) this isn’t a done deal yet, it seem and 2) That is for an ENTIRE FLOOR at Trump Tower. 3) The cost to the Secret Service for the whole floor is $1.5 million a YEAR - not a day.

I’d like to see some verification on $1 Million /day. But given that NYPD has a $4.8 BILLION dollar budget, maybe that is correct.

I did find this backing up the amount:

A separate law enforcement official said the number of NYPD cops protecting Trump Tower could grow to 300 at a cost of about $1 million a day. The official saying a separate command might be needed just to focus on security for the future President.

Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/25/politics/secret-service-trump-tower/

7 Likes

I initially assumed he’d actually do the work and hate it, but more and more, I think he’ll just shirk off every responsibility, attack anyone trying to make him do the actual work he signed up for, and delegate everything he should be doing to horrible people. He’s already violated so many standards and conventions with no shame whatsoever that an abdication of duties and responsibilities as president while exploiting the office for perks would just be more of the same.

15 Likes

ah, thanks. also, this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privately_owned_public_space

2 Likes

Skype?

6 Likes

Snort!

Blackberry emails will be the least of our concerns if our new President starts having top-secret military meetings over Skype or FaceTime. :wink:

11 Likes

False equivalence. Even in boingboing. Obama took the fewest days of vacation of any recent president.

All presidents spend a considerable amount of time away from the White House

Excepting vacations, when normal presidents are “away” from DC, they are doing so for a exigent reason. If Trump actually is going to use Trump Tower as a second residence, it is a big deal. For an infinitude of practical and logistical reasons it’s a terrible idea for the president to “work at home” a substantial portion of his term. His cabinet, his entire administration, is going to be in DC, while he is shuffling around in bunny slippers on the 56th floor.

EDIT: I get that you do not personally believe Obama took “too many” vacation days. But then why feel the need to cite right-wing organs of propaganda to the contrary? Does everything have to be “OTOH, <rational argument>, OTOH, <nonsense>”? Even you, someone who does not believe the false equivalence, are nevertheless propagating the false equivalence. Sad!

17 Likes

He was also criticized for kissing the devil behind his tail, but consider the sources.

14 Likes

4 Likes

Well, to be fair, we have documented proof he took vacations.

Opinion will vary on if it was “too many”.

But demonizing the opposite party in power for spending tax payer money on things that all of them spend it on is par for the course.

Fun fact - I read that the president has to buy his own groceries, but they chef is part of the package deal for living in the White House.

4 Likes

WAY too early to say what exactly he might be getting away with. I doubt if as much of the country are pushovers as he might hope.

1 Like

Cool, so if it’s public one could also bypass the private lobby and access it by jetpack, for instance.

2 Likes

More ‘Trump Chum’; oh yay.

3 Likes

I’ve been chatting with some family members on FB who are die-hard Republicans about Trump. They love the guy, think he’s the next Reagan (and think that’s a good thing), live in an echo chamber reinforcing their ignorance, and deny anything that doesn’t fit the narrative they want to believe. Given the atrocities Trump committed during the election that were happily forgiven, I think a lot of the country are pushovers, or rather authoritarian lickspittles happy to finally have their father-proxy and are willing to do anything for Trump and will forgive Trump regardless of the transgression.

10 Likes

Central Park, for example, while a public place, is closed from 1 AM until 6 AM. If you are caught by the police in the park at this time you will be given a trespass summons.

If you were in the public area outside the accessible hours you would be subject to the same kind of summons.

3 Likes

It’s fascinating there’s so much forgiveness in a lot of people who wouldn’t budge an inch on anything Clinton did.

6 Likes