Trump tweeted he witnessed "horror and devastation" of Harvey, but others say he didn't really

It’s about showing a single modicum of actually caring.

The cynical minded will say, “oh meeting with victims is just a photo op” (and for 45 I’m sure it would be… even though he’s notoriously bad about never actually bothering to meet with those ordinary people he claims to care about instead choosing to delegate that to his minions) but still, it’s just something you’d expect the president to do. (I guess he only cares about meeting with “victims” of Obamacare.)

But to not even take the time in between bragging about crowd sizes and how great his FEMA pick is is to mention any sort of sympathy (or even “regards”) for the victims?

Just when you think he can’t get any worse…

9 Likes

But did he roll up his sleeves…?

2 Likes

The man is a towering shitpile of narcissism, lies, exaggerated self regard, and kleptocracy. Over-reacting to a conventional, normal political lie “I show up and I care.” makes it look like you can’t find more important things to complain about. To go full Godwin, it’s like complaining about Auschwitz because it stank, rather than the fact that it was an affront to basic humanity.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s second-hand, but there’s second-hand and then there’s second-hand.

He talked with the living/breathing/eating/sleeping/shitting-the-disaster emergency workers, sure. That could have been done by Skype, and probably should have.

There is a kind of second-hand account that it’s plausibly useful for a president to get, and that’s from people who are simply and only victims. Those were pointedly absent from Trump’s 30 minutes on the ground in Corpus Christi, and of course Austin was high and dry compared to any of the affected areas.

I want to be seen shaking his hand, and grabbing his ass.
Just sayin

2 Likes

Damn, you’re right.

3 Likes

His clean up crew at work.

Work boots? Check
Rolled up sleeves? Check
Work gloves to protect against rough hands that could tear bible pages? Check
Blue collar? Check
Blue jeans? Check
Photo Op? In Spades

Couldn’t pray the storm away could 'ya Mike?

Anybody checked this migrant bullshitter for a green card?

12 Likes

newspaper

13 Likes

By first hand, they mean he was there and saw photos/videos in person.

1 Like

Had to share this image. It was too related and damn goofy not to.

Joan Collins’s brief fling with the co-stars of Empire of the Ants.

14 Likes

Look at all those able bodied men, pitching in on the effort to scan the perimeter for snipers.

4 Likes

Trump tweets are the XKCD of idiocy

6 Likes

Well, John the Baptist after torturing a thief

Looks up at his hero the Commander-in-Chief

Saying, “Tell me great hero, but please make it brief

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?”

The Commander-in-Chief answers him while chasing a fly

Saying, “Death to all those who would whimper and cry”

And dropping a barbell he points to the sky

4 Likes

I’m really hoping this is like Game of Thrones where despite so many lost causes throughout several seasons, when it comes to an end, there is epic justice for at least all the worst characters.

3 Likes

If possible scan the photos and back up the electronic versions. Ditto for important papers. Don’t wait for a big storm to be on the horizon. The scans of the photos won’t be the same as the original photos, but at least you won’t have lost everything.

4 Likes

Best protection is to scan all those photographs and keep copies on duplicate hard drives, in water-proof bags, in various locations. (Bank safe deposit, out-of-state relative’s house, etc.)

3 Likes

Well, we’ve had “fire and fury” and “horror and devastation.” I wonder what the next one will be? “Horror and terribleness with a side of things all messed up?”

2 Likes

Agreed. Works for most of here but, for folks in their 80’s and 90’s with a hell of allot more printed photos than any of us, scanning is probably not an option.

When disaster strikes look out for the older folks and save the important stuff like photos and documents. Furniture, carpets and ceramic angel collections can always be replaced.

2 Likes

Been there, done that; living it right now.

2 Likes

Yes, Hurricane Harvey killed 38 people. But we have to agree that there was violence on both sides…

9 Likes