Trump tweets islamophobic video from far-right British criminal

It doesn’t even matter anymore what he does.

The USA is dead.

3 Likes

Uh, what?

Oh right, they are Muslim. Clearly they don’t subscribe to Christian beliefs, right?

Yeah, about that…

7 Likes

Serious question: the president publicizing bilious anti-Muslim agitprop like this undermines the 1st Amendment’s guarantee of religious freedom. This is contempt of the Constitution. Failure to come anywhere close to fulfilling the presidential oath of office. A forthright legislative branch should impeach for this.

Right?

3 Likes

It does marginally more than root-fuckall, for regular hyper-obvious spuds. If you report some neonazi schlub with @whitepride88lickhitlersball as a username and a glaringly racist handful of tweets, they’ll suspend the account. But when the account is “notable or newsworthy” they’re more likely to ignore it.

So I’ve made a point of reporting the source material. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That seems to happen with him from time to time.

I guess there can’t be a cancer on the presidency if you don’t bother being presidentsy.

Yes, but not all Muslims have the same views/opinions about Mary and Jesus. And even those with reverence may not have the same reverence for Christian icons. And no, they don’t subscribe to Christian beliefs because they think Jesus was just a Prophet, not the Son of God. You know, the one thing required to be a Christian.

At any rate, there are Islamic anti-Christian fundamentalists, just as there are Christian anti-Islamist fundamentalist. One shouldn’t portray all of one faith as one thing.

2 Likes

I think an important takeaway here is context is important.

5 Likes

Not that it really matters to the targets of those videos, but this is preposterous on so many levels. I wouldn’t put it past Daesh and similar groups to do something like that, but those are freaks. For the rest of Islam, the Virgin Mary is a revered figure, very important in theological terms, there’s even a chapter of the Quran named after her. Even accounting for the strong iconoclastic tendencies of some Muslim denominations, it’s very hard to believe.

1 Like

While Muslims may respect Mary, I believe that they do not think that making idols of her is appropriate. Go compare a Protestant cathedral with a Catholic cathedral. It is not that the icons and statues were never there, it is that at some point they were removed or destroyed.

2 Likes

This is true. Islam is pretty strict about idolatry (hence all the controversy regarding depictions of Mohammed). Like I said earlier, context is important. It’s easy to show a video of someone smashing a “statue” (more like a cheap ceramic casting) of the Virgin Mary and spin it into some sort of horrific anti-Christian narrative but that’s not the whole story.

7 Likes
1 Like

And yet again Twitter moves the goalposts.

Why can’t they just admit that they don’t care about hate speech when it benefits their bottom line.

8 Likes

If one of your users had almost 48 million Followers, thus bringing in a whole big chunk of your revenue, I guess it might be a tough call to pull the plug on him?
(For the record, I’d unplug him.)

3 Likes

Ditto.

2 Likes

As goes America, so goes the world.

wolrd_military_spending_barchart_large

Everyone is in this. There’s nowhere to run.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.