Trump tweets of executive order suspending all immigration

Trump, “Inscrutable? That don’t make no sense! I can screw anything!”

5 Likes

You’ve heard of disaster capitalism? Meet disaster fascism.

See also:

13 Likes

Haven’t seen the media mention it yet, but this will kill off the fruit and vegetable harvest.

Who the hell will be picking the food?

Prices will skyrocket and Americans might learn what scarcity is all about.

If the morons protest when they are asked to stay at home, what will happen when there are no more Chalupas or Diet Coke?

8 Likes

Strangely, there are worse shitholes. Sounds unlikely, but it’s true. And there is some faint hope that the US is only temporarily a shithole country.

6 Likes
17 Likes

I expect the plan will be something like this: keep hiring migrant workers, only now they will ALL be “illegals” so there will be no need to pay any of them anything close to a living wage, and they can ALL be threatened with being turned over to ICE if they complain about it. They will charge more for the crops that are picked anyway by claiming that it’s so much harder to get done now that legal immigration has been stopped, pocketing the extra profit. The local law enforcement offices will turn a blind eye on the situation because the crops have to be picked. Trump, meanwhile, will start drumming up support at his rallies for phase 3: either kicking all non-white people out of the country or revoking their citizenship status. His base will eat it up.

11 Likes

I’m not sure. I think he may be referring to the formal immigration process only, not the guest worker program. Unless California or Arizona can actually get USians to do the work, it would be hard to fill the gap, which most USians are loathe to do.

7 Likes

Bang on. Trump has no difficulty with using undocumented Labour, they make the best workers:no rights and low pay and they can’t sue you when you stiff them. Their existence justifies the extension of concentration camps and more paramilitary thugs to drag people off to them.

8 Likes

Note also the phraseology: protecting jobs is given equal weight with protecting public health, and the jobs “belong” not just to Americans, not just to American Citizens (sic), but to GREAT (as in MAGA) American Citizens. So – changing the frequency so we can hear the dog whistle – at least half of this measure is protecting the jerbs of his white Know-Nothing base (or, more precisely, his marks, because he won’t deliver on this, either).

12 Likes

ha I forced myself not to watch the news for past two days and it’s funny how none of this was even surprising now

but what sane person would come into this country over the next eight months anyway?

but why the hell are the airports even open anymore even domestically, wtf are people going and why? cargo sure, people why?

I worry that the soccer moms are gonna get so sunburned out in the fields picking produce.

4 Likes

The Tweet where he suspends the election in November… that will be the one to watch for, you know it’s coming.

7 Likes

I think other countries will start to take care of that for us pretty soon

3 Likes

Yeah if anyone is expecting American families to pile in the ol’ SUV and take to the road seeking employment as migrant farm workers like the Joad Clan then they might want to update their understanding of the US economy by 80 years or so.

12 Likes

Not sure how the latest tweet impacts the existing policy, but it looks like they expanded availability of migrant visas a couple weeks ago. I expect that they will carve out an exception for these visa workers, but who knows?

5 Likes

“Trump plans Executive order” = Trump is giving us his brain farts and is just trying to stir up the 24 hour news cycle.

12 Likes

Ah, just beaten to the punch above.

8 Likes

I am a US immigrant, one who is about 1 step from getting my green card.

Otherwise, I’m here on a work visa, likely the two types of visas that will be targeted here.

To say I am disappointed would be a massive understatement.

27 Likes

I think we should let immigrants currently in the country stay.

And I’m also going to point out he’s an idiot because the only people that this will affect are the people who are coming into the country legally, who are the ones who do great things for our country. (I mean, the people who come here illegally generally also tend to do great things for our country, too. Hum. It’s almost like diversity is a great thing and we’re all better off for it. Crazy.)

I kind of get the distinct impression that he doesn’t understand the difference between legal immigration and undocumented immigration. Perhaps he could ask someone who was sex trafficked here as an illegal alien and was then speed-walked through the immigration system to become a legal immigrant about what the differences are. I wonder if he could find someone like that near him that he could ask?

But people who ran fake “modeling agencies” and stuff like that to provide male-order trophy wives for the rich and powerful, people who ran “birth tourism” businesses to allow wealthy foreign women to birth anchor babies here in the country… those people should be deported…

I think the worst thing of all about all this is it’s completely and utterly stupid and ineffective. Duh. We have so much CV-19 already in the country that doing this won’t make any difference whatsoever. It’s installing a high-tech security door on the barn after the horses are out, the barn has burned down, the ashes have been bulldozed into a pit, covered over, and grass has grown up on it…

Well know for sure when he issues an order that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

3 Likes