Trump was denied relief from his $450m fraud judgment. Now he's been denied relief from his $83m rape and defamation judgment

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/08/trump-was-denied-relief-from-his-450m-fraud-judgment-now-hes-been-denied-relief-from-his-83m-rape-and-defamation-judgment.html

17 Likes

An extra bonus for voting against him in November: bankrupt him and perhaps see him behind bars.

32 Likes

Ah, the old “a failure to act on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part” response.

As someone who deals with this all the time at work, I approve!

32 Likes

Bankrupt Loser. Sad.

19 Likes

Consequences smonsequences.
Untitled

17 Likes

So if trump wants to take this to appeals, he now must put up bond for $83.3 million? And if he loses appeal, does that money then transfer over to Carroll? What if he chooses not to appeal and thus not have to post the bond? Could he then somehow continue to delay paying her due?

Could Carroll put liens on trump properties, then when Letitia James starts seizing and selling his shit, NY and Carroll both get paid.

5 Likes

Yes.

Once all appeals have been exhausted, yes.

He can try, but the court can just seize his assets, liquidate them and give Carrol her award.

It would be hilarious seeing the court seize and sell Trump Tower to settle his debt. Or at least his Penthouse suite.

Star Trek Yes GIF by Star Trek Fleet Command

(Edit: corrected my mistake re: civil asset forfeiture)

17 Likes

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

11 Likes

Must we stll be “denied relief” from having to think about this dried-out turd every damn day? :weary:

I mean, I appreciate the good news in this post, but I wish decay would hurry up and finish its job on him.

17 Likes

Not to quibble, but this wouldn’t be civil asset forfeiture. The judgement is against T****, not his properties. Civil asset forfeiture is when the state charges property with a crime and seizes it without due process and without convicting the owner.

14 Likes

He just posted a 91 million bond.

Source of the bond is Federal Insurance company.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/08/politics/trump-carroll-83-million-defamation-bond-appeal/index.html

13 Likes

I’d love to know what collateral was used for that. Wonder what Chubb hopes to get out of it.

13 Likes

trump and Chubb have history:

https://www.costar.com/article/1919798340/trump-tower-insurers-off-the-hook-in-chicago-river-pollution-lawsuit

Chubb is probably wrapped up in all sorts of trump related real estate crime. Hell, he’s probably blackmailing them into helping.

14 Likes

This is the way that it is supposed to work. There’s nothing really wrong with the courts seizing assets to pay a judgement against somebody that has been found liable (or guilty, in a criminal case) by a court of law. The abuse is when an asset is seized first, and THEN the plaintiff has to show a preponderance of evidence to get their property back. THAT is abusive as fuck.

15 Likes

Probably one of the properties that doesn’t have any liens on it, or stock in his truth social company or SPAC, which TBH is worth less than toilet paper in my arrogant opinion.

7 Likes

Mea culpa, absolutely right. I was trying to post this before I got off the train and inundated with work. Not thinking straight.

I mean, have you seen his properties? Their gaudiness is a crime against humanity! (:wink:)

Totally!

7 Likes

Well, they never did release the DC Madame’s client list or other evidence, I can’t imagine a certain ex-president not abusing his power to take a look or copy that, and of course he was president when Epstein was arrested, if there were tapes or other evidence those haven’t been released either. I’m starting to wonder if a lot of what we’re seeing is actually just what you suggest, blackmail. It seems in line with his usual way of doing business.

10 Likes

The upside to posting the bond is that E Jean Carol can receive a cash judgment when the appeal fails instead of waiting for properties to be liquidated.

11 Likes

If it seems shady AF it probably is with all things trump.

Just watch and see what happens to the RNC with a trump at the wheel.

7 Likes

It coincides with Lara Trump being named the head of the Republican National Committee.
I suspect some looting going on there.

9 Likes