Trump was just being 'sarcastic' by thanking Putin for kicking out U.S. embassy staff in Moscow

When forced to choose between Doctor Doom and Galactus, go with the guy who is less likely to destroy the whole planet.

8 Likes

I get that irony is a sometimes-misunderstood concept. But I thought we all pretty much got sarcasm.

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you can find the 33,000 emails that are missing” wasn’t sarcastic. Maybe he was kidding. Maybe he was being snarky. But it clearly wasn’t sarcastic.

“Obama founded ISIS” wasn’t sarcasm. Exaggeration? Sure. But it clearly wasn’t intended to be understood as sarcasm.

2 Likes

I think he probably was making a joke. But it is also the president’s response, and therefore the most important US response, to a fairly important diplomatic incident.

And it comes in the context of his not being able to stand-up to Putin on any issues, while also under suspicion of having colluded with him to get elected.

When you are the president, you have to know when, how, and about what you can joke. This one required a bit of seriousness.

4 Likes

Yeah, I keep reading his outburst as the equivalent of Pee Wee Herman’s “I meant to do that!” catchphrase.

3 Likes

“Hitler’s only kidding about the antisemitism” – New York Times, Nov 21,1932

6 Likes

I do not think the President actually knows what the word sarcasm means, except that he gets do-overs.

6 Likes

I don’t think Kim is crazier than Trump.

1 Like

Well technically that’s true. He meant what he said then, 30 seconds later? Might be the polar opposite.

You are talking like a sane person. And you are talking about someone who should be a sane person.

Said person probably even is sane (even if others here openly doubt it), but caters the needs of a public base which clearly is not.

That said, “…but his twitter!” starts to feel somewhat evoking a comparison with “…but her e-mails!” Not good.

Joke or not, sarcastic or not - he still hasn’t done anything about Putin expelling a battalion of diplomats.

3 Likes

I’ve yet to see any evidence whatsoever of that :slight_smile: Unless you have a very odd definition of ‘sane’.

Nope, pandering to an audience is an argument, but not one that actually fits in it’s entirety here IMHO.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.