Trump wins GOP primary in New Hampshire, Haley vows to fight on

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/23/trump-wins-gop-primary-in-new-hampshire-haley-vows-to-fight-on.html

5 Likes

It might not have made much of a difference, but she could have tried running against Trump from the beginning instead of sparring with DeSantis until like a week ago.

23 Likes

13 Likes

All the R contenders were too busy ripping each other to shreds while being too afraid to attack Trump (Christie being the only exception). What a bunch of cowards. All Trump had to do was sit back and watch.

20 Likes

dan levy comedy GIF by CBC

6 Likes

Well they’re all afraid that they can’t win anything without Trump’s base, and if they attack Trump, they lose his base. Unfortunately, they’re probably right. They could have rid themselves of this meddlesome idiot in 2020 and again in 2021, but Mitch McConnell didn’t have the stones to do it.

14 Likes

I don’t think that any of them can really get Trump’s base, though. The MAGA base mostly won’t vote for anyone but Trump, and that’s why the GOP is beholden to them. It’s been the only reliable growth in voters that the GOP has seen in this century. If Trump goes away, the MAGA crowd will go back to sitting out elections to shoot at shit in their backyards and complain about the illegals or whatever.

8 Likes

I believe the phrase that you are looking for is “crawl back under their rocks.”

7 Likes

That’s my hope, anyway. I know that there are elements of Trump/MAGA that have infected a wider group than the original core that got fired up for an election for the first time in their lives. I hope that core group crawls back under their rocks. I am afraid over how fired up so many GQPers are about fascism though. I don’t think that will just go away now that they’ve had a taste.

7 Likes

It’s been the same story since Trump’s first campaign; most of the GOP has known he was bad for the party’s long-term interests from the start but they’ve all been hoping someone else would take him off the board so they wouldn’t have to.

8 Likes

A woman of color received 45% of the Republican vote in 92% white NH, where really only the most loyal R/maga base turns out the vote. That seems like an impressive outcome for Haley.

10 Likes

That’s exactly the mistake they all made.

They spent all that time and money battling one another for the favor of a voting bloc that would never care about them. Why would they care about someone who’s trying to be Trump (Vivek Ramaswamy), someone who is even further right to Trump (De Santis), or someone who’s just as bad as Trump but isn’t a white dude (Nikki Haley/Tim Scott) when they can just get Trump himself?

14 Likes

Once again, almost half the Republican electorate refuses to vote for their former rapist in chief and all around racist president. He ran the party. Now half the party runs from him.

Glass half full, folks. Take that as you will, but like early 2020, I’ll take whatever positive signs I can find.

15 Likes

It is, but Haley doesn’t talk about her story of being the child of Indian immigrants. Nor does she take on Trump by emphasising her husband served in the military. Nor does she even try selling the line that it should be the Republicans and not the Democrats who first have a woman as President. In each of these she could have taken what passes for the high ground in the festering swamp of Republicanism. But she dare not raise awareness that she’s a person of colour in an isolationist and sexist party.

And because she’s a horrible shell of a human being who deserves to disappear into obscurity, perhaps we should be glad that her political ambitions are being crushed.

8 Likes

The first item Beau talked about in that video is important, I think. Because of a dispute between the national DNC and New Hampshire on what state is the first primary, Biden wasn’t on the ballot and he did no campaigning there. And he got over 50% of the votes. As a write-in. That, more than Haley’s performance, has got to be pissing Trump off. And it contradicts the media’s story that Democratic voters don’t want Biden. Phillips and Williamson probably won’t drop out officially until after the South Carolina primary, but this sent a very clear message that Democrats don’t find Biden as problematic as the media has said they do.

14 Likes

A lot of the post-election analysis is going into how Trump did terribly among the demographic groups that he would really need to win the general election, so we’ll see how well he can make his case to those who backed someone else in the primaries.

Reaching out and making an appeal to people who haven’t been 100% lockstep loyal cultists the whole time is one of his specialties, right?

5 Likes

OMG, Trump is not the only delusional candidate in this race. Here’s a quote from Dean Phillips, after he was asked when he would drop out.

If somehow Joe Biden miraculously improves and he is in position to actually win this thing and I’m not, of course I’m going to fold it and get behind him. Conversely, if those polls show that I can do that and he probably can’t, I believe it is incumbent upon the president to do the same for me and deny himself the nomination. That is the right thing to do. And I trust he will do the same.

3 Likes

Yeah… I don’t know… something is off about his whole campaign, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s a member of the New Democrat Caucus, which is basically the “fiscally conservative, socially liberal” pro-business wing of the Democratic Party. But he’s also voted for Biden’s positions 100% in Congress so far, and he supports Medicare for all, which is definitely not a pro-business position. I dunno. I can’t figure him out.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Look At Me Reaction GIF by WWE

:woman_shrugging:

8 Likes