Trump won't stop tearing up official papers so the White House archives employ a staff to tape them back together for the National Archives

It’s illegal? Arrest him.

Gorilla tape?

That seemed like a lot so I did a little searching and holy carp, the man’s a walking, talking bad-ass!

(Also specifically commended by his superiors at different times for attention to detail and clear communication with the paperwork to back it up. Considering his current job, me likee!)

2 Likes

This x 1.

2 Likes

Maybe if someone told him the paper will be in his Presidential Library one day, and he’ll want them to look good in there. So good. Bigly good.

“We got Scotch tape, the clear kind,” Lartey recalled in an interview.

Shouldn’t they be using AMERICAN tape?!?

#FREEDOMTAPE

14 Likes

The destruction of things he doesn’t understand is an apt metaphor for his whole misbegotten time in that office. Ignorance akin to the Spanish destruction of codices and other traces of the native cultures they encountered. I’m not equating any government papers with the value of what vandals have destroyed throughout history. But the same level of ignorance when a dullard encounters something he doesn’t understand he removes from his sight so it doesn’t remind him of his ignorance. He no more than a petty fool wandering around in the presence of things made for those who understand what is in front of them. Tiny hands, a small mind = great destruction.

7 Likes

All this talk about the cost of living in DC is kind of beside the point - there shouldn’t be anyone earning any salary by taping together fragments of public documents which are being wilfully and maliciously torn up.

4 Likes

The library will be studied by researchers as the bad example.

8 Likes

Is there only one copy of these documents he is tearing up? Could more copies be made, so tax dollars are not being spent taping documents back together?

4 Likes

Look, if it’s stupid but it works it ain’t stupid, ok?*

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Documents_seized_from_the_U.S._Embassy_in_Tehran

Documents seized from the U.S. Embassy in Tehran

A large number of documents, some already shredded, were seized by Iranian Islamists during their 1979 occupation of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran. They were pieced together and made public.

*Incredibly wasteful of taxpayer money etc., sure, but…

5 Likes

Hey man, civil servants are not paid nearly enough for the shit they have to put up with to keep the country running.

6 Likes

Not denying that. I’m merely pointing out that people have to be literally employed by the government to tape Trump’s papers together because he just can’t be bothered to not tear them apart.

5 Likes

It’s less of a software problem; the main issue is scanning the fragments, which is a tedious manual job.

When the German Democratic Republic was dissolved in 1989, the interior security service (Stasi) shredded a shit-ton of documents. People have been trying to put these back together since then, and apparently there is now software to help with this, but the main bottleneck is actually scanning the fragments. Out of more than 16,000 bags of shredded documents, approximately 500 bags’ worth (1.6 million pages) have been reassembled by hand since 1995, and another 23 bags’ worth have been reassembled by computer since 2007. The computerised-assembly project has been put on hold but hand reassembly is continuing on a small scale.

Of course there are also unshredded documents to the tune of 110 kilometers of shelving, so the historians are going to be busy for a while.

4 Likes

The problem might be annotations he makes. Otherwise they could just scan the documents before they get to trump. I wondered about marking a grid on each document though, to make it easier to reassemble.

1 Like

Why not copy the documents onto something that Trump can’t tear to pieces? Slabs of concrete come to mind.

1 Like

It’s not like they were hired to tape Trump’s papers together. It’s just what they ended up doing because the President is a big dumb oaf of a manbaby.

3 Likes

FTFY. I would prefer to live in a world where the President doesn’t tear documents up for whatever reason, but since that is a foregone conclusion I do want someone there to put the pieces back together.

1 Like

ISTR that for a long time, there was some legal debate about whether the president’s papers were official government document or his private property. And congress was generally willing to paper over that debate by paying the former president for them after he left office. But congress was unwilling to pay Nixon and that led to the presidential records act to clear up future conflict.

2 Likes

I don’t think the boobie drawings will be much of a loss to posterity.

4 Likes