Trump's 22-second brain freeze: Is Fox News covering up a Glitch McConnell moment?

Originally published at: Trump's 22-second freeze during speech raises health concerns - Boing Boing

8 Likes

The video at the link in the first line has already been deleted. Is there another video you could link?

Either way, I think we all know how the media handles this will be yet another example of how there is no “both sides” argument to our current situation here in the US.

34 Likes

you should sometimes follow the link in your reddit-link, brian, which links to the source-reddit, in which redditor BrownheadedDarling links to the cspan-source and has this to say;

It was Trump pausing for a medical emergency in the crowd.

Former President Trump Campaigns in Montana | C-SPAN.org

Go to 17:35; you can see Trump and everyone behind him are staring in the same spot, and then he says, “That’s ok. Our governor says we have all the time we want.”

Which isn’t to say we don’t have enough reason to think this man insane; but man I took this bait too quick.

e/ to clarify further:

Is Fox News covering up a Glitch McConnell moment?

as impropable as it may seem; but no, brian, in this specific case they actually didnt.

22 Likes

Faux is going to be Faux. The larger and on-going problem is the NYT and other “liberal” corporate outlets studiously ignoring Biff’s age-related glitches in a way that contrasts with their history of latching on to every such instance with Biden.

22 Likes

When was Trump replaced with the look-alike? /s

14 Likes

Probably around the same time they started working on a new anthem:

14 Likes

I’ve seen lots of folks suggesting the pause was because of incontinence issues, i.e. he was making use of his adult diapers on stage. Which I’ve never tried to hold conversation in the middle of a BM, let alone improvise a speech, so…

8 Likes

Good question! The behavior, if it was in fact a pause out of concern for (gasp) someone else!!! is truly so out of character for biff that that alone should be cause for concern.
/s, kind of.

22 Likes

Walz stopped a speech to provide assistance for someone in the crowd so Trump has to do the same.

I know it’s much more likely this was a real occurrence and not staged but I expect him to push the “I’m also a compassionate person too!” in spite of all the evidence he isn’t.

23 Likes

I mean, as horrifying as this reality is, that is still his official title for life. I guess the use of the word “the” implies a current title, but it’s not an inappropriate use. Famously this came up when… someone I don’t remember… referred to Dick Cheney as “Mr President”. Quite a few people freaked out, but it was pointed out that this was actually an appropriate use of the title because as VP he was President of the Senate.

I find the fact that he ever achieved that title far more disturbing than anyone using it in a grammatically dubious fashion. Plus, as you say:

13 Likes

The difference I see in the video is that Trump thanks someone off-screen, but really expresses zero concern for the person in distress (assuming that was what was happening). I don’t think I’ve ever seen Trump express genuine concern for anyone’s wellbeing. Maybe he does it, but I can’t recall ever seeing it. I’ve been watching “Veep” lately, and Trump is literally a male Selina Meyer. Absolutely no concern for anyone but himself. None.

12 Likes

I find it completely unbelievable that Trump would pause his jabbering out of concern for someone else, but I do believe he would halt because of a disruption. “The numbers of rapt drooling fools looking in my direction has decreased. This is unacceptable!” There may be just enough understanding in his shriveled raisin that he understands that some people might consider him actively complaining about the interruption to be unacceptable, even if he doesn’t understand the why of it.

14 Likes

Did Bush ever have an operation in office and temporarily sign-over authority?

Mr One Hour Presidenting sounds cool.

7 Likes

I would totally get that on my business cards.

6 Likes

We’ll know it’s the real Trump when he bitterly complains about having been forced to stop talking during that rally.

It’s Trump - he’ll ruin it by complaining about the interruption and/or fixating on how gross the medical emergency was.

9 Likes

Ditto that time an elderly man was injured in a fall at Mar-a-Lago and had the gall to bleed all over Trump’s precious, precious floor.

Or even when one fan was killed and others wounded right in front of him during the recent assassination attempt.

15 Likes

The last line sums it up:

Like most Trump tales, what was intended as a story about the bravery and heroism of a handful of Marines instead revealed far more about the man telling it.

Not just the tale itself, but the fact that he thinks that shows him in a good light at all. yuck.

9 Likes

That was a major recurring theme of the 2016 campaign. Another example was when Ivanka talked about the time her deep-in-debt-but-still-living-in-opulence dad saw a homeless person on 5th avenue and sneered “you know, that guy has 8 billion dollars more than me.”

11 Likes

I still hold that his campaign’s worst liability is Trump, himself.
For all the complaints about Biden’s age, there’s not a thing that could have been said for him that wasn’t doubly true for Trump. Deflect and project. Deflect and project.

10 Likes

…leave it in the past, like an 80’s Betamax video.

9 Likes