Trump's biz tweets video of pro golfer John Daly who suggests drinking 1 bottle of vodka daily will 'kill' coronavirus (IT WILL NOT)

golf clap

If so (and I very much think not), that had to be the most seriously deadpan delivery of something he wasn’t serious about.

Sure it is going to effective, if you can get your blood to 70% ethanol

4 Likes

Drinking a bottle of vodka everyday may not kill CV19, but it will kill a pro golfing career.

3 Likes

Reminds me of an episode of House M.D. when a patient had a failing liver. House gives the man the bad news, and the patient is blasé about it. IIRC, he asks if they can just remove it, and thinks people can survive without one. At that point, House just looks at him and says something like, “There’s a reason it’s called a LIV-er.”

10 Likes

And less likely to wear a mask when interacting with the public, believing themselves safe.

It’s a surprisingly reliable indicator.

5 Likes

I knew almost nothing about professional golf, and still don’t, but I did witness him in-person winning the Buick Invitational at Torrey pines in 2004. We camped out at one hole and watched everyone play through, and sure enough, just like on TV here comes Mr. Daley walking down the fairway smoking a cigarette. In a way I find some charm in his whole unhealthy lifestyle, anti-athlete, Jerry Springer show schtick. I think he’s a pretty interesting character.

1 Like

Or from another angle, if you follow this guy’s advice (including the Diet Coke!) chances are good that coronavirus will not be the thing that kills you.

I mean, we’d hope not. But when you have that kind of platform as a pro or celebrity, responsibility would dictate some kind of disclaimer. I’m all for dry humor, deadpan delivery and all that, but he literally said it killed the virus. He could’ve phrased it differently, don’t you think?

I love this, it confirms my longtime theory that fire is “alive.” Set out the food and it will come visit. Leave it untended and it may reproduce and eat.

5 Likes

He could definitely have phrased it differently. But it is John Daly so my expectations are rather low. Actually, my expectations for most pro athletes (and in Daly’s case I use that term very loosely) are pretty muted.

3 Likes

Honestly, if Trump called you a personal friend, wouldn’t you drink a bottle of vodka a day, too?

6 Likes

I thought Trump had personal issues against alcoholism, which is why he chopped his brother and his family out of the financial empire. I guess it was just greed.

4 Likes

And wind up occupying the hospital beds needed for Covid-19 patients.

4 Likes

I prefer the advice to not touch your face

https://www.oglaf.com/cleansing/

2 Likes

But if you could find 150-proof vodka it would be good enough to wash your hands with…

See also: Bowling, darts

2 Likes

But that’s where we are now: dry, deadpan “humor” is indistinguishable from sincerely-felt, idiotic right-wing sentiments.

And if we get it wrong, we’re the problem.

(It is fun to think of the nutty “anti-virus”/“Liberate” protests as performance art. At their conclusion, the director emerges and explains: “This is experimental theatre exploring what an uneducated public would do when it panics on the lies its fed by cynical authority figures.”)

4 Likes

Just mean. Drunk or sober.

4 Likes

What kind of bottle of vodka are we talking here which would not harm you?

1 Like

George Best was an interesting character too.

He was a great footballer who would have been even better if he wasn’t an alcoholic. He would probably still be alive too. He was one of the best players to have never played in the World Cup, alongside George Weah.

Give me boring but effective sports stars.

6 Likes

And then some.

1 Like