Trump's brand sinks with him

Doh! That’s what I get for not keeping up with current pop culture trends and network television. Too bad, it would be soooo much more satisfy to watch him lose and then see more salt rubbed in those open, festering wounds.

I’m a terrible person… I will now go bathe in soothing videos of Fred Rogers…

5 Likes

Words fail, buildings tumble, the ground opens wide. Light beams down from heaven, she stands before my eyes.

1 Like

His show wasn’t just cancelled, he got replaced by Ahnold.

7 Likes

He can still make a decent living lecturing at monster truck shows.

9 Likes

It just looks bigger because it’s in the foreground.

6 Likes

On my monitor, it’s smaller than my thumb, so yes.

2 Likes

If his brand name is going down now, imagine what it’ll do after he loses the election. Not only will he be a misogynistic racist, but he will be a loser. He may retain some support by claiming the election was rigged, but I suspect he’ll lose many of his supporters who love him just because he appears strong and successful. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he goes bankrupt after that.

2 Likes

He wouldn’t even need to pay an investment manager. He’d do better with an index fund than he has running his own businesses.

8 Likes

Start here perhaps.

1 Like

It’s the one thing he’s very successful at.

15 Likes

I think a narcissist would underestimate how bad he might look under the close scrutiny of a presidential campaign.

Isn’t one of the typical characteristics that they can present a great-looking facade, but once you get close enough it’s Dysfunction City?

I’m batting around the metaphor that all he’s doing is trying to keep his (celebrity, big wheel) balloon from touching the ground, whatever that takes. Or maybe something about kiting, as in check-kiting but with reputation instead. So many metaphors, all of them mixed.

5 Likes

He just has to rebrand a different product.

4 Likes

That’s libel. Slander. Defamation. Whichever is the one that applies here.

Trump has never gone bankrupt.

He’s merely driven several businesses into the ground to the point where those have gone bankrupt.

There’s a big difference. YUUUGE.

16 Likes

That’s what I’m saying: I think he’s building a whole new brand. This election is a grand PR campaign as he builds a fervent following. Once this is all over, Trump has quite a lucrative career ahead of him as a pundit, a media mogul, as head of a new Breitbart venture. Trump TV, where he can say anything he wants, and the people he’s preaching to on the campaign trail will have him doing extremely well financially.

8 Likes

Indeed. I doubt it’s a coincidence that most of the people running his campaign are from Breitbart, Fox News etc.

7 Likes

Not if all the stress causes him detrimental permanent harm to his health before then.

12 Likes

Yes, good point, an S&P index fund would give him a much better expense ratio.

ETFs, kids! Go get ’em!

2 Likes

Give it a couple of decades, and Hipsters will be raiding used clothing stores for “Trump” ties and jackets just for the irony value.

10 Likes

And I don’t think that brand building will work. I imagine the headlines after election day will be “YOU’RE FIRED!” as Trump loses, and one thing his brand can’t survive is people laughing at him. Hating him, no problem, but laughter, nope his crowd won’t take that.

11 Likes

Their “brand” doesn’t necessarily make all that much money. And the usual line about Hilter is that he made the trains run on time not how much money he made in trains. Frankly I haven’t met too many Neo Nazis who buy in because its so good on business.

The linked article is based on some wacky marketing metrics to speculate that his brand might be failing. And its focused pretty strictly on the US. Even starting in Primaries we know its not doing to well. TV show cancelled, clothing line cancelled. Many news reports of reduced bookings at Trump branded hotels and what not. Even some about branding deals for properties being cancelled. Apparently a lot of this is taking place internationally. Which is where most of his branding business takes place. Trump in the US has largely been a bi-name for gaudy shit. In Dubai? Not so much.