Trump's Fourth Of July 'Salute to America' now includes Air Force One flyover of Mall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/18/trumps-fourth-of-july-salu.html

It’s not supposed to be a political campaign ad. But it will be.

5 Likes

Cue flyover scene from Triumph of the Will for “Who wore it better?” comparison meme. Scene is at 03:10.

8 Likes

Never has masturbation been so expensive.

22 Likes

Fricking lovely. Impeach the MFer already !!

BTW - true to his MO of not paying his contractors…

18 Likes

The event will need some suitable music.

7 Likes

What a better way to celebrate the Day of Independence than to remind everyone they’re about to lose it?

18 Likes

While this is insane, it would be curious to see Trump give his typical rally speech to a crowd not self-selected (or hand-selected) for such a speech.

Trump never speaks anywhere where he can be confronted or even met with less-than-adulation.

An open-access speech could be interesting. In a horrible, end-times, kind of way… but interesting.

12 Likes

“And I want missiles! Big missiles on long trailers. And tanks, definitely tank, lots of them. In fact, the tanks can pull the missile trailers. Ooh, this is going to be so cool. I am the best president ever!”

5 Likes

Air Force One is still pretty much a 747, isn’t it?

Isn’t there some good reason those don’t typically fly at low altitude, such that any “flyover” is likely to be completely underwhelming?

7 Likes

22 Likes

I’ll admit when I read that headline my first thought was that Trump was going to hold his silly Independence Day pageant at a shopping mall, perhaps the Mall of America. Because Trump.

10 Likes

This is destined to be a dumpster fire for so many reasons. Less than a month out and plans aren’t final. Setting up a new secure area, and moving crowds to the least accessible part of the capitol mall. Add to that other DC issues, like the southern part of metro being closed for summer. Normally hundreds of thousands of people show up, most taking the metro. But the Lincoln Memorial is a long walk from he nearest station. It’s not clear that there is any planning for crowds or security.

DC normally starts setting up for these events LONG in advance. They use the same plans again and again because they work. Normally by this time the key elements are already being set up–everything from security fencing to portable toilets. This is not a backyard barbeque that can be changed up at the last minute.

14 Likes

How about a couple dozen wireless bull-horns placed around the mall and someone on a covert mic who can lip-sink/overwhelm what ever nonsense trump will blather. "Trump is here, yes this is me the orange-ish blob, to tell you all the wall will stop all the space badgers from eating …our toes!!!"

2 Likes

#whatagreatidea

5 Likes

I know just the crew…

10 Likes

No, it’s not off topic.

tumblr_pt7131rv3p1ujinhho1_540

14 Likes

I dunno, until they retired their 747s last year, United used to use one for a flyover of San Francisco as part of the Navy’s “fleet week” thing. I am not really sure how United, a private airline, got involved in that, but seeing a close 747 flyby of the Golden Gate Bridge was kinda neat. I guess it was easier to overlook the unpleasant militarist dickwaving vibes with a passenger airliner…

3 Likes

Ah… If the pilot’s good, see. I mean, if he’s really… sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [spreads his arms like wings., laughs] you oughtta see it sometime, it’s a sight. A big plane, like a 747, vroom! There’s jet exhaust, fryin’ chickens in the barnyard!

8 Likes

British military flypasts often include a Voyager (tanker based on the Airbus A330, also used for VIP transport):

(Image: Mark Ranger via Essex Live)

3 Likes

Also, there will be (deservedly) protests which will add to the congestion. And counterprotests. So there may be, well, fireworks.

6 Likes