Trump's #MuslimBan temporarily blocked nationwide by U.S. judge in Washington state

Hey Sean spicer was seen leaving Steve Bannon’s office with a clarification…

5 Likes

They’re chaotic evil. Most administrations seem to be neutral evil, or, if you’re really lucky, true neutral or (very rarely) lawful neutral.

2 Likes

I’m glad about this glimpse of sanity, but ever since Trump really got going I often can’t help but think “who knew, the U.S. president CAN actually do shit if he really wants to”. I also can’t help but think that Bernie Sanders would be running your show now if not for the Democratic National Committee. How different of a world that would be.

1 Like

More like “who knew, the President can get shit done when he’s not hobbled by an obstructionist Congress”.

7 Likes

I could be wrong on this, but I believe the inherent authority of courts with regard to contempt means that you don’t need a prosecutor. There can still be a trial though, particularly if the offense doesn’t occur in the presence of the court.

So they would need the cooperation of U.S. marshals only.

2 Likes

That’s mostly true, although if what I read is correct, at the beginning of Obama’s first term, democrats had a 4 month window at least of a total majority to pass whatever legislation they wanted.

2 Likes

The judge is a ‘mainstream republican’, and is described in these terms: ‘I think he truly believes in the independence of the judiciary, to the marrow of his bones’

7 Likes

Amazingly enough, it does not. The court has judicial officers who can arrest people for contempt. They do not work for the executive, and interfering with them is… contempt of court.

I’m not sure trump wants to go up against the Federal Circuit Courts. He is about to learn there are boundaries of his authority. I expect some 'uge chafing.

11 Likes

That is true. And, amazingly, Obama didn’t try to make that four month window into a petty dictatorship. He was relatively restrained and didn’t make disassembling the previous administration into his first priority. Pity that when he and his staff had taken the time to write and craft some elaborate, well-researched initiatives, by that time Mitch McConnell and crew had declared themselves the “party of no” and said they would refuse to pass any law Obama offered up, no matter what.

7 Likes

Yeah, pity, and I really mean it. I guess Obama was naive enough to think that pettiness of that scale would have no place when it came to the fate of your entire nation and the world, and that his proposals would be seriously considered if they just were well-researched and argued. We all know better now.

Closing Guantanamo would probably not have required an elaborate, well-researched initiative though.

1 Like

Which he issued executive orders to do so, twice. But Congress blocked its closure.

7 Likes

Too late, apparently. Or did democrats block it while they still had control?

4 Likes

Horse trading. As in “my kingdom for a…”.

Lawful neutral in many ways terrifies me as much as any of the evils, in the hands of those who are supposed to make the laws in the first place.

Are they chaotic evil, btw? Bannon sure is evil. Trump may very well be chaotic neutral. I’m not sure he actually has any conception of morality and may just be indulging in whatever whim strikes him. If so, it doesn’t help, since nearly all random actions are destructive and harmful. It takes work to build evil institutions that actually function, as opposed to just burning it all to the ground.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.