Trump's #MuslimBan temporarily blocked nationwide by U.S. judge in Washington state

The best-written laws in the world are still just words on paper if there are not people willing and able to enforce them. At some point it always comes down to whether the people tasked with running the government choose to live by rule of law. ALWAYS.

11 Likes

That press conference was painful to watch.

Reporter: Why does the President keep describing this as a “ban” if it’s not a ban?
Spicer: Stop twisting his words!
Reporter: Those are his words. He just posted another tweet saying…
Spicer: He is just using the language of the press! This is all YOUR FAULT!

19 Likes

It’s interesting to me how someone can act so cavalier about the flagrant attempts to demolish the American democratic system as if the downfall of our country somehow won’t impact the rest of the world detrimentally.

I often have to wonder how long it will be before Spicer’s head implodes…

10 Likes

Burma!

2 Likes

Substitute “King” for President and realize Britain codified this with Magna Carta 800 years ago…

3 Likes

Trump has one weird trick that he’s used all his life: Throw a bomb to disorient everybody and then, by virtue of being rich and powerful, swoop in and take advantage of the chaos to grab as much as he can while everybody is too disoriented to pay attention. It doesn’t take competence, all it needs is for him to be in a position to capitalize on chaos.

He did it during the GOP primaries and this blast of EOs and picking fights with mexico and australia fits that pattern to a T. A common theme among reporters is that covering the minority president’s actions is exhausting and that would be his goal. We have yet to see how it works out, but I am concerned that for every public victory the opposition has, there will be 5 losses because there just aren’t enough resources to fight him on everything.

We can’t just win in the courts, we have to win in the court of public opinion. We need more stories about his policies hurting americans, especially americans in his base.

9 Likes

I’m wondering If we can compare it to the presidency of Andrew Johnson, after Lincoln’s assassination, when he was brought up on impeachment charges?

He wasn’t impeached or removed from office, but he became ineffectual after the events and it stop the reinstatement of southern states back into the Union without making any changes (or just reinstating slavery by another name). The Radical republicans basically threatened Johnson into going along with actually bringing some punishment to the south for the rebellion and allowing for some of the important reconstruction legislation. Of course, that all came tumbling down with the Grant scandals in the 1870s, but it is an example of essentially nullifying a president’s actions in the name of democratic practices. Though one can certainly say that it was an overreach (I disagree - he just wanted to wave the south back into the Union, with no consequences and no real changes to race relations). Given that Trump did not win the popular vote, he has no “mandate” and he needs to work with that understanding - of course, he’s denied that all along.

5 Likes

That’s truly worrying. I’m European, and I seem to have a better grasp on judicial vs executive branches …

I’m also curious how this works, as the case was the State of Washington vs Trump. I mean, literally how it’s worded on Robart’s written position. In any other context that’d make loud-mouthing the judge a decidedly unwise position.

4 Likes

Arf. Laying the groundwork for removal?

5 Likes

That’s a very, very interesting tweet. Why would Pence specifically laud Gorsuch for his support of limiting powers of government? It seems like he’s making the case for why Democrats should support him to reign Trump in.

14 Likes

…now for wrath now for ruin and a red nightfall

Theoden in 2020!

1 Like

Seems like it might be a response to Schumer’s criticism of Trump’s attack on the judge who just shut down the travel ban. Trump’s attack is seen as an attempt to de-legitimize the judicial branch which is a totally autocratic thing to do.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/spencerwoodman/status/827971418713358336

1 Like

We are now beyond a Severe Risk alert, and a Tweetstorm is occurring. Get to your shelters!

4 Likes

Doesn’t have his minders to keep the phone away when he’s on vacation.

And both of those already seem to be gone.

4 Likes

The expected:

5 Likes

Week 1, when he was showing [what’s his name] the reporter around the Whitehouse and Oval Office, drumpf made a special point of noting the painting of Jackson he’d had hung in the Office. Sad.

4 Likes

David Muir. Not just a reporter, he’s the lead anchor for ABC World News Tonight. He’s no Edward R. Murrow, but he’s not Brian Williams either. Safely in between somewhere.

2 Likes