Trump's pick to head DHS immigration, Ken Cuccinelli, praised anti-Muslim extremist Brigitte Gabriel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/31/trumps-pick-to-head-dhs-immi.html

5 Likes

ds9-quark-shocked

10 Likes

When I was a middle-school kid visiting the Holocaust exhibit at the Wiesenthal center in Los Angeles I’d read old Nazi propaganda and shake my head wondering how any society could be hateful and ignorant enough to put the people who spouted such garbage into positions of power.

Now I’m an adult living through something terrifyingly similar and I still wonder.

20 Likes

This administration knows what rocks to look under to find the worst.

10 Likes

Of course this is the guy Trump would want. Why break the pattern now?

5 Likes

If only the Trump admin cared as much about White, Christian radicals, who may only be a small percentage of the overall larger group – but, of course, that larger, less violent group is irrelevant in the face of the radicalized, violent, 10 to 20%,

Look, I’m not the kind of atheist who burns churches, but let’s be honest: Organized religion, any organized religion is some nonsense.

3 Likes

7 Likes

The radicals are estimated to be between 15 to 25% according to all intelligence services around the world.

7 Likes

By contrast, fewer Muslims back severe criminal punishments in Southeast Asia (median of 46%), Central Asia (38%), and Southern and Eastern Europe (36%). Even smaller medians in these same regions (between 13% and 27%) say apostates should face the death penalty for leaving Islam to join another religion. (For more details on views toward apostasy, see How Should Sharia Be Applied? in Chapter 1: Beliefs About Sharia.)

1 Like

What happens when the radicals are at 46.1% ?

Same here. No country seems to be immune. The Germans gave AfD 12.6% of the vote in 2017, and they should know from hard experience what happens when you give far-right radicals any kind of power. That may be small, but it doesn’t take much to give fascists a foothold, especially in a parliamentary system. The U.S. has its own vulnerabilities, with the Know-Nothing 27% happy to vote for any right-wing populist that runs under the GOP banner.

3 Likes

Do they go back to 1955 and nearly sleep with their moms?

4 Likes

Nearly?

Before deployment, Lazarus again visits his family, whereupon he learns that Maureen is as attracted to him as he is to her. She explains that her husband does not insist on fidelity, although she is careful not to become pregnant by any man but Brian; and being newly pregnant, consummates her attraction to Lazarus himself.

ETA: Now I find myself wondering if Spielberg read Heinlein’s unfortunate later years. :thinking:

3 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.