Trump's travel and security estimated to cost half a billion dollars for 1 term

Never heard of that equipment, but…

4 Likes

Golf racquets then.

Sheesh.

:wink:

9 Likes

St. Andrew’s also has very lumpy misshapen greens (and fairways) by modern standards. Modern greens will have a slope or a crest, but overall they’re relatively flat. St. Andrew’s greens are like someone’s been hiding dirty laundry under them for centuries.

2 Likes

Mashie niblick.

6 Likes

Click, click, and it’s a mashie niblick.

Don’t forget your baffing spoon.

2 Likes

I gave up baffing for Lent.

1 Like

To answer seriously - variety and thruput. 9 (or 18) holes gives you different scenic vistas on each hole, and more importantly lets you keep 18ish parties playing at once, rather than a single one, on what amounts to a ton of real-estate. Golf is expensive in large part because of the grounds - reducing the number of people who can play at once would drive costs up by an order of magnitude (9x or 18x, give or take). You also wouldn’t save that much land, because the holes in a typical golf course interlock like puzzle pieces, and follow the terrain as well.

1 Like

Say that to my face!

2 Likes

Curiosity finally got to me, and I looked it up:

The US government used to own it, then returned it to the Post estate due to lack of interest and the expense of maintaining it.

Trump bought it for a song (<$8m) after low-balling the bid and then lying about owning the property between it and the ocean, threatening to block the view.

Despicable.

12 Likes

Just make helmets compulsory, and then everyone can play simultaneously. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2 Likes

To be fair, he’s just carrying on a great American tradition:

1 Like

The Drumpfs had 18-24 months to get used to the idea that they might have to move house. I understand the desire to shield the family from public scrutiny, except that
a) public scrutiny of you and your family comes with the gig,
b) Melania made her entire professional career out of public scrutiny (this isn’t intended as slut-shaming here, and I’m happy to concede the point if people feel it is. And, yes, I recognise that people should be able to change careers without carrying too much baggage forward), and
c) none of them were under any compulsion to run for family-of-the-president, and they sure all got on board with it when it suited.

IIRC, one of the main reasons that Colin Powell never ran was because he honoured his wife’s resistance to the idea. That option was open to the Drumpfs.

That said I agree that because of his age what Barron is up to on an hour-by-hour, day-by-day basis, who he’s talking to and meeting with, etc, should be off limits. However, observing that decorum that does not require that his parents be shielded from legitimate criticism.

9 Likes

Somehow I don’t get the feeling that Dumpland solicited or accepted any input from his family that didn’t line up with what he wanted to do in the first place.

4 Likes

Neither do I, but that isn’t the point. If^ he is an arsehole husband and parent that’s their problem, not the electorate’s.

^ “If”? Who am I kidding … :unamused:

4 Likes

Besides, since when is that even a consideration for how much compensation and expenses should be allocated to support the family of a public servant?

When most people sign a contract to work a new job in a different state they don’t get to say “oh, by the way, I’m going to need twice the compensation that this job usually entails because my family doesn’t want to move.”

11 Likes

He enjoys bilking the US. The extra expense of the Secret Service protecting multiple residences gives him shivers of delight. That new helicopter pad? Probably what passes for an erection from that.

6 Likes

[quote=“Brainspore, post:77, topic:97285”]
“by the way, I’m going to need twice the compensation that this job usually entails because my family doesn’t want to move.”[/quote]
There was some talk a while ago that Drumpf would take the stipulated salary, when it was pointed out that he had to take it. He said he’d probably donate it to charity - which if he ever does get around to actually doing will no doubt be one that benefits him personally, like the NY City Ballet or something similar.

So, let’s assume he does donate his entire income as president ($400,000 annual salary, $50,000 annual expense account, $100,000 non-taxable travel account, and $19,000 for entertainment). That “charity” pales into insignificance next to the graft he’s creaming in from Drumpf Towers and the Winter White House.

6 Likes

And I’m pretty sure the actual pledge ended up being that he would donate his salary at the end of the year. So, not only do taxpayers end up paying his salary to him, but (assuming he actually carries through), we would also end up paying for his tax deduction on the donation.

[edit]well, @JonS beat me to part of this.

3 Likes

Hey, he’ll want one for himself!

1 Like