Tube: minimalist YouTube search

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/13/tube-minimalist-youtube-searc.html

5 Likes

Apparently not functional on an iOS device.

2 Likes

no recommendations, no nonsense

And no results, for me.

3 Likes

Neither on Firefox Android as well it seems

3 Likes

Or on desktop Chrome. I think it’s just dead.

3 Likes

Lamest April Fools joke ever.

5 Likes

It “works” for me but always returns the same list of movies, which are un-related to my search. Amazing.

5 Likes

Sorry about that.

I am seeing the same thing, I think. Is an Avengers trailer at the top? I think something is up with my API key, looking into it.

3 Likes

Hmm. What browser? I am not seeing the same on my device.

What browser + OS? I was doing a bit of work on it so you may have caught in-between, sorry about that.

(Also, I apologize if I am using BB wrong. I’ve never used it before but spotted you all in my analytics. :))

6 Likes

strike one: no support for Firefox search bar. Youtube supports search from the browser and that’s the only way I search YT, but I want to get the minimal embed, so let’s just try it out and I can make a bookmark or something.
strike two: I type in chuck berry and this is what was returned:

A search for richard feynman yields the same exact thing. Not ready for prime time, folks.

Edit: @madeline, if you can get the search working and esp. if you can add the FF search support I will completely abandon YT forever. This is an idea whose time has come.

5 Likes

Just look at the tube.

1 Like

Safari, iOS 11.3

However, it appears to be working now.

1 Like

Windows 7, Chrome, always the same videos

I searched for “Stink Banana” and it came back with “Official Marvel Avengers Trailer”

I searched for “pig” and it came back with exactly the same result.

#NailedIt

2 Likes

You don’t suppose we’ve been rickrolled, do you?

3 Likes

at least a rickroll would’ve been funny

4 Likes

@madeline there are a number of styling fixes that would make this much nicer once you sort out the API issues, like removing padding/margins from the html/body tags, and I think it should be possible to make the video actually fit the screen by simplifying the .embed-container styles, though I haven’t tried portrait screens. You’d probably quickly hit API limits anyway if this took off, but it’s an interesting experiment if nothing else.

1 Like

Fixed search. It was a weird issue.

Make sure to refresh your cache if you don’t immediately see the fix.

I’ll look into the FF search support, sounds interesting

Yeah, I can take a look at the /watch page next. I actually copied that code directly from someone else, so I haven’t really taken an in-depth look at it.

(I am not super worried about hitting the API limit yet. I can handle about ~300,000 queries / day before Google I hit the cap, if I calculated right. :))