Twitter bans "live" reports of anyone's location, justifying ban on @Elonjet—but also implicating news reporting and tweeting about your lunch salad

Ah, like the Twitter Files and how they expose that Twitter was inconsistently censoring right wing accounts and hiding news damaging to the left. Right. Got it. /s

2 Likes

Can Twitter prove I haven’t got permssion from Santa?

No. So here’s his signature on this bit of paper giving me the green light.

3 Likes

Yeah, when the cave submarine thing happened I thought it was an out of character aberration. Turns out that was either the start of his descent, or he was always bad and either better at hiding it (or others were hiding it for him), or I just hadn’t been noticing.

Either way his downsides are clearly dwarfing whatever upsides he now has. Debatably his lifetime achievement may be negative, but if it isn’t currently it is for sure trending that way.

Web browsers don’t always send geolocation (Safari and Chrome both ask the user if they want that stuff sent). Twitter knows the IP address something is using to communicate, and that frequently is enough to geolocate to a city, but if people care they can use a VPN to mess that up. Additionally Apple has a fairly trivial to use (but still off by default, so at least 90% of people will never even see the option to turn on) system to obscure the original IP address (by default it is still roughly correct as to country, or for a country as big as the USA rough timezone).

I don’t know about the Android app, but the iOS app also needs to request permission for location data, and according to App Store rules can’t change any behavior that doesn’t actually need the location data to function. So for example it can request location data, but it can’t refuse to show messages or allow posts until it gets such data. It can decline to offer news “happening near you” as that would obviously require knowing where you are.

3 Likes

If your account is dedicated to sharing someone’s live location, your account will be automatically suspended.

I wonder how granular this new rule is? Will posting “@ElonMusk is in Texas” get you yoinked? How about “@ElonMusk is in the US, so as to more efficiently combat democracy”? What about, “@ElonMusk is on Earth, as SpaceX can’t go to Mars anymore since all their employees are at Twitter bending to his alt-right billionaire childish whims”

6 Likes

i can’t find it now, but someone on the bbs recently posted a screenshot of a twitter popup that says you’re not “allowed” to block twitter’s geolocation

it’s super important to advertisers, so you can believe they want it if they can get it

3 Likes

Banner is often a villain in the comic books

Hulk always had its roots in the horror genres

3 Likes

I would liken Musk to Obadiah Stane.

Obadiah was treacherous, intelligent, callous, sociopathic and extremely manipulative. He was capable of feigning interest in Tony’s welfare, and his father before him, when he was manipulating the actions of Stark Industries for his own selfish and narcissistic interests. He was introduced as a fatherly, charismatic and highly practical man whom Tony trusted very deeply, but his true colors increasingly revealed him as a truly sociopathic and diabolical man. He had no compunction about ordering Tony Stark’s assassination, even though he’d known the man for years, showing that he had no conscience.

(pinched from MCU wiki)

2 Likes

He’s banning everyone.

4 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.