Twitter's new CEO said to be NBC executive Linda Yaccarino

Originally published at: Twitter's new CEO said to be NBC executive Linda Yaccarino | Boing Boing

5 Likes

If she is being “hired”, how will he “pay” her?
He is not paying other bills. Is she working for “Exposure”?

11 Likes

A reminder of who she used to work for. She’ll be a good fit.

16 Likes

She’ll be paid the same way employees at twitter still are being paid, and the same way Elon is ostensibly drawing a paycheck from twitter, and the same way Bluesky is or is not (we don’t know) being funded by Twitter currently.

1 Like

I suspect he’s looking for a scapegoat. He made a claim recently that twitter is now “just about breaking even”, or something to that effect. Of course claim made absent any numbers to validate his assertion. I suspect he’ll claim that he handed over a break even company to this woman, and her “woke” agenda caused it to crash and burn.

The damage has already been done.

If by some miracle, she’s able to salvage the company they he can take a victory lap for making “a great hire”. It’s win-win for him.

Twitter = the new Facebook

9 Likes

It’s the sanest bet he’s made lately. Not that it’s amazing, but at least you can see the logic.

2 Likes

speaking as a someone that has managed an 8 figure online marketing budget the only way she can smooth over relationships with advertisers is if she can keep Elon from tweeting and unwind all the changes he’s very deliberately (at least as deliberately as Elon is capable of) made. Good luck with that…

In the end Twitter is Elon now. hiring a minion isn’t going to change that and Elon sure isn’t changing

12 Likes

Any guesses on how long she’ll last? I’m going to say less than three months.

But then again, I thought Twitter itself would be long gone before now :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

What’s “Twitter”? :thinking:

6 Likes

How much fun will it be to be CEO when you still sit beneath “GodKing-ManBaby” in the org chart?

3 Likes

She’s by all appearances a serious, qualified, and competent person. And she’s been seeing all the same Elon behavior we’ve been seeing. I expect she’s been offered some assurances (possibly in writing) that she’ll be able to exit in a dignified and face-saving manner should things keep heading south.

2 Likes

Because we all know how well he honors the written word. Utterly sacrosanct (/s)

6 Likes

I read an article once, that I am currently too lazy to find, that claimed/showed, that women CEOs are disproportionately hired to be put in charge of failing companies. I am not sure if this is because there is a plot to make women look bad, when the companies fail, or that the men see the writing on the wall and don’t want their name associated with the failing company. It is wrong to speak about the motivations of whole groups of people. We are all individuals with our own motives, but it is possible that some of the women decide to take the jobs because they are locked out of other opportunities.

If they can pull it off, it will make them look good and maybe lead to better opportunities but more likely, once they get a company back on its feet, the women get pushed out and the cushy job is passed on to someone in the old-boy network. If the women fail, the old boys say that women are not good at management.

5 Likes

Don’t discount a generation of women who have been told they will fail and are willing to take on the greatest challenges anyway though. That’s the kind of mindset it takes.

Ambitious people try challenging things.

Most of them fail.

All I can do is wish her luck though because I’ll be damned if I make a Twitter account now…

15 Likes

I’ve heard that same thing and the explanation I remember was that the board of directors of major companies are typically “conservative” and “risk-averse” when it comes to selecting CEOs (read: they like to hire white men because that’s what they’re used to) but when a company is in dire straits and they’re desperate to shake things up, that’s when they’re more open to trying “Hail Mary” strategies such as actually giving serious consideration to women and minorities. And of course even the best, most competent people are less likely to succeed when they’re starting off with the company already in crisis. So other corporate boards look at who was in charge when a company went down and say to themselves “well we certainly aren’t going to hire someone like her.

4 Likes

Official.

Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant!

7 Likes

It takes a unique intellect to sign on to be the Captain of the Titanic… AFTER it has hit the iceberg.

7 Likes

Especially when the boss has appointed himself to the positions of both chief deckchair mover and conductor of the on-deck orchestra (still playing as the ship goes down).

4 Likes

Good for him—he managed to find someone as far right as he is.

9 Likes

She might be skilled at smooth talking advertisers, but there is only so much that will help when the actual product becomes ever more toxic as a place to advertise.

3 Likes