Twitter's revenue plummets 40% in December

Originally published at: Twitter's revenue plummets 40% in December | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Twitter
Twitter.com is down. Checked 0 seconds ago. (Mon, 06 Mar 2023 18:03:07 UTC)

perhaps some weary H-1B visa holder will manage to plug in an extension cord to the nearby pizza joint across the alley soon.

addendumdum: seems to be ‘up’ (somewhat) now. but its downage has been noted:
All Links Seem to Break on Twitter, in Latest Operational Debacle

12 Likes

Twitter is down? Oh darn, what am I do with all of this sarcasm?

22 Likes

Maybe Walgreens can help.

12 Likes

40-dimensional chess.

14 Likes

17 Likes

That’s as much as 4 tens, and that’s terrible

13 Likes

Did anyone tell Elon that putting a tesseract up his butt is not how chess is actually played?

Could be bad for butt health too.

8 Likes

I dearly love how Twitter Blue, were all the users to adopt it, would still not plug the hole.

20 Likes

37 Likes

I’m only surprised it wasn’t a 40% drop compared to the month before (which had its own drop). When you alienate most of your existing advertisers and your revenue is almost entirely ad-based, you’d think it would drop more than that. (Especially when the remaining advertisers are taking out ads at reduced rates.) I wonder if the situation is worse than that, but being obscured somehow.

Musk’s approach is to slash operating costs, which of course still can’t solve the problem. Some recently released numbers show an enormous drop in costs that go some way towards bridging the gap, but they’re also largely illusory, as a) he’s not paying former employees agreed-upon compensation, and b) he’s not even paying rent. Not only is that not sustainable, they’re also costs that will come back at some point to bite the company on the ass (with added court costs and penalties), assuming it survives long enough.

19 Likes

Out of interest, anyone still using twitter* Have you ever encountered a twitter blue account in the wild yet?

*I still use it for following a whole bunch of art/webcomic accounts, but have yet to see a sub…

Seems like it’s a bigger failiure than is even being reported :slight_smile:

12 Likes

The only twitter blue accounts I’ve seen in the wild are in the replies to major posts, like news articles, etc. And of course sometimes the QT’s and screenshots of them pop up on my timeline from easy dunks.

5 Likes

I hope that Twitter users are archiving their posts. If the company fails to make its massive interest payments and is shut down Musk will likely wipe the whole database ut of pure spite.

10 Likes

I archived, locked, and logged out. I never looked at the archive (well I clicked somewhere random enough and found dog videos which is fine) and probably let it die with this old computer. Nothing of value will be lost.

10 Likes

One of the big issues is that government agencies and politicians and corporations made the mistake of entrusting significant instances of their communications to this centralised platform. Those organisations are the ones that should be archiving and then leaving (narrator: they’re not).

10 Likes

Remove the “ut” and maybe I won’t mind if it gets erased…

3 Likes

It’s a loss leader?

13 Likes

They take a small loss on every tweet, but make up for it in volume!

20 Likes

Maybe when it crashes he’ll start a subscription service to ransom it back to users.

3 Likes