Two days before start of football World Cup, host nation Qatar bans beer sales there

I would imagine that they paid tens of millions more for the advertising rights than for the right to sell beer to football fans at the venues. They still got screwed, but the damages from lost sales at the venue is probably not worth suing over if they still get to plaster their logo on everything for audiences around the world.

4 Likes

What they lose in sales volume they seem to want to make up via the unit price. We hear that half a litre of Bud will cost the equivalent of €12 in the “fan zones” in Qatar, which is about twice the price of proper beer at the Oktoberfest in Munich (where the beer is already fairly expensive at least by German standards).

7 Likes

Half of that goes to the public coffers.

8 Likes

Maybe, NYT, just maybe it’s because the tournament is being hosted by a brutal and greedy absolute monarchy that’s beholden to bigoted religious fundies and is being run by one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet.

[An article this pointless doesn’t deserve an archive link]

ETA: Another reason why people may find this year’s World Cup a bit of a downer.

[Archive]

10 Likes
15 Likes

Isn’t the first rule of aristocracy to pull up the ladder behind you and invent a history of blue blood going back either indefinitely or to some particularly cherished event in local mythic history as soon as you possibly can? Anything else is dangerously close to implying that the little people might conceivably change their station or, worse, change your station.

7 Likes

Wrong.

The English* FA Cup second round is next week, and I’d rather support grassroots and lower leagues than the farce that is the FIFA World Cup.

Only the top leagues have stopped for the tournament.

Also, for the whataboutists, I am opposed to Euro 2028 being held in the UK (as well as Turkey, but that’s irrelevent to the argument)

We will not be forced out of the game because we are LGBTQI+.

* Yes, there are some Welsh teams too

18 Likes

For the pigs, just as well is the minimum.

2 Likes

That has happened, too. Look, we all know protests don’t involve every single person who might protest. But saying a protest or boycott is ineffective or pointless, and belittling the protesters as not real fans, if the event goes on and has some attendance; that’s really shitty. And pretty much misses the point.

11 Likes

There are church ladies and there are church ladies…

15 Likes

Ten years ago…

11 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes

FIFA should be ashamed, but clearly lacks the capacity.

If FIFA were capable of shame, it would immediately refer all of its executives to the appropriate local, national and international police forces for corruption and fraud, disburse all its money to other organisations which will actually support the sport, then disband itself with prejudice.

15 Likes

I don’t know how widespread it is, but there do seem to be quite a few fans who are in favour of splitting away from FIFA and starting a breakaway federation. The British FAs won’t be part of it (they have disproportionate power in FIFA, UEFA and IFAB, and won’t want to lose that) but the fans are getting more pissed off every day.

12 Likes
4 Likes

I hope Qatar win :smiling_imp:

13 Likes

that would be poetic.
can you imagine Germany or England or any other self respecting beer producing/ consuming nation were to win?
“WTF we supposed to do with that swill?”

second place side wins Bud Light for life.

10 Likes
5 Likes