U-Haul truck bullies a low clearance pipe but fails in the most amusing way

I love knowing there is absolutely some witness first-hand to this: a car is seen @1:30 on the right side driving by.

They had to be astounded in the display of futility!

4 Likes

Hope they got the extra insurance.

12 Likes

Damned lucky it wasnt a gas line.

6 Likes

33 Likes

So this is what a car rental looks like in Hawaii now?

7 Likes

The pipe was an obstacle but it looked to me like the bigger issue was the concrete joists that were (initially) parallel to the truck. Those didn’t yield to allow the truck to make a turn no matter how much the driver really wanted them to.

13 Likes

Watching this is kind of like watching a bird or a deer that’s entered a house and can’t figure out how to go back out the way they came in.

17 Likes

Or a bit of knowledge that never occurred to me until I was studying for a CDL
Beware obvious rental trucks especially U Haul. These are inexperienced drivers and need to be given a wide berth

19 Likes

22 Likes

this gif reminds me of the first time i drove a rear-steering forklift at a steel mill i worked at 40 years ago. i was sent to get a pallet of refractory brick with which to line a ladle. i ended up getting into a tight so bad the refractory shop manager couldn’t get it out and they had to get a chain hoist rigged up over the forklift and lift it out of the spot.

16 Likes

If I remember right (it’s been a long time since I rented a U-Haul), the insurance doesn’t cover damage to the top of the vehicle.

7 Likes

So I guess they just bought that U-Haul?

2 Likes

They’ll drop it off after close and feign ignorance.

8 Likes

I always thought it was ‘fine limousines.’ The song lyrics sites have ‘waxing machines’ and ‘rags and machines.’ Hilarious. Now, scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

6 Likes

Holy crap, when you rent a truck at U-Haul you actually get a truck?

I always just get to stand in a long lineup with a bunch of other angry people who also don’t have trucks.

18 Likes

Definitely! As soon as they get into the driver’s seat…

8 Likes

I think the gunk at the start of the deluge is mostly dirt from the ceiling of the parkade; there’s some ugly stuff in the sprinkler line too, as others have noted. Parking facility ceilings never get pressure washed after the electrical, plumbing and sprinklers are installed. It just builds up from vehicle exhaust year after year.

4 Likes

Pretty sure that was a sprinkler pipe, though the initial brown I bet was rust and sediment that had settled in the tube. And if you look in the right side they keep bashing the top of the truck against a concrete structure. (ETA - the sudden jolt at the end tells me they hit another one.)

Jesus - seriously. Who the fuck just keeps trying to ram forward like this time it will work. I but they thunked those low hanging yellow bars at the front that warn of maximum vehicle height and just kept on truckin’.

10 Likes

It’s just rust. Those systems are never flushed out, because that would just make the chances of a mistaken release that much higher.

The department store where I used to work had a display window that was sealed by a door on the back. One day the badly positioned spotlights were set too close to something flammable, and the contents of the tiny room burst into flames. The sprinkler head inside opened, and the space was filled with water to a depth of at least a couple of feet before everything was shut down. The red rust water line lasted on that glass for a month or two before it was cleaned up.

10 Likes

It’s not the minimal obvious damage to the truck (hey, it’s returned really clean!) but the massive insurance claim against them for the sprinkler system repair, recertification and full recharge.

9 Likes