U.S. cops race to hit 1000-kill target for year

Originally published at: U.S. cops race to hit 1000-kill target for year | Boing Boing

11 Likes

This is why I stopped updating the “Today’s police shooting” topic. Couldn’t keep up.

15 Likes

Oy.

12 Likes

If you include the people they’ve given covid to by not wearing masks…

14 Likes

If a thousand cops die of covid, i won’t exactly be sad.

2 Likes

Heard on the police scanner in Grand Theft Auto III:
“Crime is up. We need more arrests. Just bag anyone.”

Switch “arrests” for “kills”, and it sounds pretty accurate today.

2 Likes

U.S. cops could catch up with a weird trick, though: kill as many white people as they do blacks and hispanics.

Your wish has been granted.

2 Likes

Funny you should mention that, I was just looking up police deaths to make a stupid K:D ratio joke (that ratio is like 10:1 if you include all sources of death other than Covid), and the total Covid deaths for police in 2020 and 2021 is 507, by far the leading cause of death among police in the last two years!

9 Likes

People are going to look back at America and it’s depravity in wonder. Half of the stories will be true, but much will not.

Like the romans and their vomitoriums, people won’t know for sure if cops just killed people and didn’t bother count, or also ate the babies of protesters with mint jelly.

1 Like

Only on a gross (very gross) basis. On a per-capita basis by race, American cops are still way under-performing not only in meeting their target but exceeding it by a large margin.

7 Likes

Unknown?

Did the cops purchase a disintegrator from Marvin?

1 Like

And the number of cops killed in the line of duty every year? Not even a quarter of that number, and of those most are killed in accidents (and last year most were killed by COVID.)

4 Likes

Perhaps the numbers are down because they are outsourcing to militias and Kyle R?

3 Likes

Apple sauce surely. Dammit we are long pig not sheep.

4 Likes

You bury bodies. You don’t bury percentages.

1 Like

I believe the more pithy version of your response is “All lives matter”.

6 Likes

Will you be sad for all the people they infect?

1 Like

I just don’t even understand that kind of thinking in this context. I mean, if cops kill fewer people per year then that would be great for white people too so maybe it would be good to say “holy fuckballs that’s a lot of death by police, maybe the law shouldn’t be enforced so brutally” even if there’s a possibility that doing so would help more black people than white people on average.

It’s just… not even a contrarian point. Too damned many people are dying in this country from police violence and the only justification being offered as a reason is just some racist bullshit and vaguely threatening statements about the safety of suburban white women.

9 Likes

Rob’s sardonic point is supported by a link specifically referencing the highly disproportionate per-capita rates. To respond to it by moving back to the gross rate and implying that, when it comes to police violence, white people are already as or more hard done by as PoC as Rob “wishes” they were is missing the point…at best.

7 Likes