U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis quits

jpg%20large

31 Likes

I just think it’s a little creepy that the normal “replace-the-eyes-with-the-mouth” photoshop trick still results in a convincing photograph… : /

18 Likes

I’m still not sure it’s been changed. Didn’t want to look too closely though.

12 Likes

Dude’s eyes have chins…

3 Likes

Don’t give him ideas! :grin:

6 Likes

As others have noted it’s never a good sign when the guy nicknamed after a rabid animal is widely perceived as the most level-headed adult in the whole administration.

37 Likes

Interesting. There’s nothing in Mattis’ letter saying that he was proud to work for Trump.

21 Likes

I’m not pro war or pro mattis, but I can’t help feeling trump’s surprise decisions look like he’s being controlled by Putin…

16 Likes

I’m sure they were
a) Annoyed that he did it.
b) Annoyed that he did it over Twitter without telling them first.
I’m not sure which annoyed them more.

15 Likes

I was trying to figure out how he could be only the 26th Secretary of Defense until I remembered they used to just be honest enough to call the position “Secretary of War.”

Also: Use “first-line indent” OR “space after” to indicate a new paragraph, not BOTH. Learn proper typesetting, people!

18 Likes

Given Trump’s switcheroo re government funding, I’m wondering (even more) about who really controls FOX.

10 Likes

Ah looks like his dark soulless eye became the mouth. Still though… could go either way.
src:

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/eshalegal/status/1075551472664961024?s=21

That said, the withdrawal of US forces from their illegal incursion into Syria is to Putin’s advantage. But Trump’s motivation was likely closer to home.

15 Likes

my reading of the letter doesn’t lead me to the conclusion davison comes to in his tweet.

what this letter makes so powerfully clear is that while mattis states that maintaining our alliances and treating our partners in alliances with respect is crucial to our security, and while mattis recognizes that russia and china are, at best, competitor hegemons and absolutely not friends, that all of this is in complete opposition to 45 who would rather shit on our alliances and curry favor with putin.

also note that, while thanking virtually everyone else in the military hierarchy and bureaucracy, at no point in the letter does he thank 45 or reflect on the privilege or honor it has been to work with him: pieces of boilerplate which appear in letters of resignation with such regularity as to provoke shock at their absence.

i tend to think this has been coming for a while and any relationship to 45’s syria decision is tenuous and most likely a case of coincidental timing.

edited to remove a redundant and confusing instance of the word “makes”

25 Likes

[insert “why not both” gif here] I can’t parse all of Trump’s moves, but theres no denying he’s doing exactly what Putin wants - undermining international cooperation and destabilizing the west in general.

15 Likes

Can you elaborate on the illegality of the US military involvement in Syria? I thought it was, essentially, authorized by Congress, so long as we are still ostensibly fighting ISIS? Do you mean according to international law?

1 Like

27 Likes

Yes, international law.

OTOH, it’s sketchy even by US law. The “moderate rebels” backed by the US in Syria are closely connected to al-Qaeda, which blows a rather large hole in the “we’re fighting terrorism” justification.

11 Likes

2ph93x

31 Likes

Has Trump called him “a weak individual, low energy, no stamina” yet? I hope he does, because I want Mattis to kick his huge, diseased, orange ass.

8 Likes