U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis quits

In SS Trump, the SS must represent Sh*t Show, right?

7 Likes
16 Likes

I Wonder what kind of loon is going to end up heading the DOD? Probably some faith healer who’ll try to hasten the second coming of jesus.

9 Likes

The upshot is that US strikes against ISIL in Syria are probably illegal but widely recognised as legitimate. We are likely to see a rerun of what happened in 1999. Some states may seek to reaffirm the illegality of using force for humanitarian ends or to otherwise interfere in the internal affairs of states. However, most states will welcome this necessary action and simply stay silent on the question of legality.

1 Like

OK, “international law” is sort of a different concept entirely than domestic law. Is there a UN resolution finding the USA in violation of a law? Oh wait, we have veto power. At the end of the day, there really is no such thing as “international law,” it’s really “international agreements.” IMHO anyway, although I’ve certainly heard this perspective echoed by people smarter than I, and I tend to agree.

2 Likes

All that matters, as usual, is power. If you have it, do whatever you feel like, people may care but they don’t have power.

6 Likes

Mattis is the last of the group that Trump once referred to as “My Generals.” I guess he’ll just have to look for a couple of up-and-coming Colonels? We already know he’s a fan of at least one.

19 Likes

Neither of those exceptions applies.

However, as you note, international law is functionally toothless in a realpolitik world.

10 Likes

So does anyone have any sort of an idea how severe the punishment would be for punching him in his ugly orange snout in lieu of a resignation letter?

3 Likes

Not the Athenians’ finest hour.

10 Likes

Unemployed soap star actors. Just hand them the script and they say the lines. No more of this “But that’s illegal…” back talk.

10 Likes

12 Likes

Could the last cabinet member to quit please turn out the lights?

8 Likes

Putin’s water access to the Mediterranean is secure.

8 Likes

Also;

10 Likes

My serious prediction is he will try to find someone (ANYONE) who will put out the message that the border wall is somehow the only thing worth spending defense money on right now. Probably something to the tune of we are under no direct threat from ISIS and that mexican and south american gangs are flooding our country so we must build that goddam wall right now or omg we are all going to die as gang members fill the country with taco trucks.

11 Likes

Just tonight I have read pro wall arguments such as stopping nukes from entering the country, how much money the the wall will save, a “fucking illegal that stole a friend’s identity”, and even an analogy about locking your doors and personal safety.
To me it feels like going to a dirty Baskin and Robbins but the ice cream is colorful swirls of denial, fear, and chunks of blind devotion.

10 Likes
11 Likes

With global warming melting the arctic it may no longer be an issue, but a lot of Russians history centered around getting and keeping a southern port that didn’t freeze every winter. For Russian leaders its a big feather in the crown

4 Likes

Ports in the pacific weren’t enough?

2 Likes