U.S. Senate candidate smokes pot in campaign ad

Originally published at: U.S. Senate candidate smokes pot in campaign ad | Boing Boing

6 Likes

“I’m Gary Chambers, and I’m running for the US Senate, and I approve this message, and I’m high as f%$k right now!

8 Likes

Good on him. I don’t know what his odds are like, but his ad is already a better senator than his opponent.

Also, it’s nice to know that the Kennedys continue to be a pox on the body politic. Even the unrelated one he’s running against.

18 Likes

The ad:

13 Likes

Prohibition is a cash cow for Patrick Kennedy. There is no shortage of authoritarians on the left and right who want to make rules only intended for the peasants to follow.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/18/patrick-kennedy-profits-opioid-addiction-firms-489076

6 Likes

Martin Luther King, Jr. said “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

So we can’t blaze up because at any given moment we need to be an example of the ultimate measure of ourselves in times of challenge and controversy. Therefore moments of comfort and convenience are no longer something any person should ever experience ever again lest we fail in the very necessary goal of being the ultimate examples of ourselves, 24/7.

Not sure that quote really is about a negative attitude toward personal indulgence, more about that people who aren’t struggling shouldn’t see themselves as equal to those that are

I was waiting for the lean forward and “I approve this message” straight from his mouth instead of voiceover.

1 Like

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

would that I were able to vote in Louisiana (thankfully, i am not), Mr. Chambers would certainly have my vote

9 Likes

I wonder if he was able to film this in one toke… er, take

6 Likes

End the war on drugs.

6 Likes

Did he inhale?

1 Like

it’d be rude not to

9 Likes

I’m registered to vote in Louisiana (and Texas). I’d never heard of this guy, and he hasn’t done anything to speak of other than get publicity with this ad. If he has solid policy positions on other issues, I’ll support him.

2 Likes

Before reading the article, based on the headline alone I expected this to be about Pennsylvania Lt. Governor John Fetterman.

3 Likes

i’d vote for him.

2 Likes

i admit to being a little “single issue” focused on that call

3 Likes

Louisiana has had the highest per-capita murder rate in the US every year for over 3 decades, and the highest incarceration rate (partially but not solely due to terrible drug laws), and bad enough pollution that the most traveled highway corridor is known as Cancer Alley, and is the only state that US news and world reports ranks in the bottom 5 for both K-12 and higher-Ed, and terrible coastal erosion (~1 football field per hour) that puts most of the residents at much greater risk to storm and flood damage, etc.

In short, as much as I’d like marijuana to be legalized, it is still a ways down the list of issues I care about from local candidates.

(I have an interview scheduled for a job in New Orleans next week, and would really like to move back)

3 Likes

They got some good film, maybe after those 3 puffs he got the rest of the agenda out in the next 34 seconds; well before the filming phone ran out of memory.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.