Uber cougher faces 20 years in prison

Generations are not monolithic. Some of ‘the kids are alright,’ and some of them are like this young person; total assholes.

13 Likes

20 years is a bit harsh, but I bet is unlikely she does that.

2 Likes

Mark, when a news outlet reports that someone could face “up to” whatever the maximum sentence is, it’s sensationalist garbage. Please don’t repeat that nonsense.

6 Likes

Or more likely plead guilty to lesser charges. That’s the way it works in the US. They drop these kind of maximalist charges on people in the hope that they will plead guilty to lesser charges in exchange for having the disproportionate ones dropped.

3 Likes

About the theft charge being so stiff…

When my son had his phone stolen by a classmate at school the principal brought the kid + parent and my son and I into his office and asked my son “was it an iPhone? Those things cost $1,000+ which makes this a felony. Unless he get’s it back…”

So nowadays, taking a phone will land you in jail. And also, don’t steal from a classmate who can easily identify you. I guess this lady learned this lesson about dash cams as well…

6 Likes

From the bit I saw it really stretches the definition of “defense.” The crux of the message seemed to be “that guy is lucky I didn’t have a gun!”

8 Likes

The 20 years part is a hypothetical based on maximum sentences for all charges, served non-concurrently.

Realistically, if the robbery charge sticks, she’s looking at a couple of years. Otherwise, a few months at most.

3 Likes

She took off his mask … HIS mask. That is battery.

ETA: well, maybe it’s assault since there doesn’t seem to have been any actual harm.

2 Likes

A battery charge does not require injury.

Via Cornell Law: 1. In criminal law, this is a physical act that results in harmful or offensive contact with another person without that person’s consent.

5 Likes

Yeah, the whole coughing thing is a biological assault. Would you want community service for someone who sprayed anthrax or mustard gas on someone?

3 Likes
5 Likes

Nah.
Tucker Carlson will run it as two separate stories:
Proud Patriot, “Kim”, sentenced to twenty years in prison by the elite liberal Californian snowflakes for standing by her constitutional right to not wear a mask(no pictures).

& Angry Black Californian goes on rant against private businessman(video, no sound for context), and steals his phone, liberals overjoyed, shower her with praise.

5 Likes

Sure. They can clean all the public restrooms, and muck out the loos at any area state parks!

7 Likes

There’s another video of her cursing and peeing in a parking garage because a business wouldn’t let her use the bathroom due to COVID. I’m not posting it either, but rest assured, she’s as much a stupid, foul-mouthed trash hag as in her other videos.

2 Likes

Yeesh. I mean, we’ve all been there, but recording it is just a step too far.

/s, of course. I only poop in parking garages.

3 Likes

While judges have discretion and sometimes abuse it, sentencing generally follows guidelines based on prior offenses, aggravating and mitigating factors in the commission of the crime, etc. People who have similar ‘scores’ for the crimes they are convicted of are supposed to be sentenced in similar ways. I’m not familiar with California’s guidelines, or what factors might be present in this case, but I think you’re right that the maximum is unlikely, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see some prison time, depending. I think you’re going a bit far with “utterly ridiculous fickleness.”

2 Likes

Needs more @frauenfelder

1 Like

We’re all entitled to our opinions. I suspect, though, that I have found myself at the mercy of our “justice” system more often than you have and I stand by my statement.
There is a huge difference between “how things are supposed to work” and “how things work” unless you have the resources to fight your case up a few levels - especially in parts of the country where LEOs are related to the judges, which are a lot of rural areas.

6 Likes

It’s a pandemic, so attempted murder.

5 Likes

How about “arbitrary”? That’s a good word.

7 Likes