UFO sightings have increased more than 50 percent during the coronavirus pandemic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/05/ufo-sightings-have-increased-more-than-50-percent-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic.html

1 Like

Pictures or didn’t happen.

Great, let’s replace a hobby that is edifying and enriching with reality tv bullshit. Go America.

11 Likes

871a7c3f-23e3-4876-a4b4-1bfd143e02f2_text1

5 Likes

I think one can do both. I’m not going to defend every person who is outside, we’ve all seen the pictures. But the increased use of public parks, national forests, etc… is good news. People outside in nature increases their connection and valuation of it. With luck in 2024 the public will be a little hesitant to build more condos on that small park, convert green space into a golf course, or put another hotel on the rim of the grand canyon.

Am I hope for too much? Almost definitely. But take hope were you can.

8 Likes

Those aren’t the surveillance drones that you are looking for…

5 Likes

Yes, yes, correlation is not causation, but one might think the decline in critical thinking skills amongst the population might have something to do with all this [makes handwavy motion at head level].

5 Likes

3 Likes

8 Likes

Bird watching is and can be great, but I’m totally for people staring at the sky and wondering what’s out there. They might even accidentally wonder why we’re here and what it all means.

3 Likes

A pity the article is paywalled, but I guess that is strictly limited to the US. In the rest of the world nobody gives a fuck about UFOs, so nobody sees them, and nobody is abducted and gets an anal probe.

2 Likes

America went.

Hhrummff. Cough. Cough. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So I guess we’re not talking about bird watchers who happen to be looking at the sky? :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re right: This article is free, only the original source is paywalled. But the article on Mental Floss doesn’t say where the sightings are up.

1 Like

Into each life, a some lack of full info must ‘fall’. :smiling_imp:

Not into mine, I shall subscribe to the Wall Street Journal at once. But I will not tell you what I read, so that you can still believe your statement is true.

This is particularly disconcerting, because you should all be quarantining, not hangin’ outside and lookin’ for a few flashing lights in the sky.

Intended as a joke or note, that sentence is legally false (we are not supposed to all be quarantining), functionally useless (no one is going to, or supposed to, spend 100% of time indoors and away from windows), and just plain disturbing to me. Transmission risk outside in any place where you can see enough sky to look for UFOs is extremely low, and time outdoors is also really beneficial for physical and mental health, both of which are taking a huge hit this year.

Though the vast majority of bird watching does not involve staring at the sky. That’s the last place you’d look, most of the time.

A few months ago, people of several cities in Brazil confused the procession of the Starlink satellites with flying saucers.

https://www.votuporangatudo.com.br/noticias/geral/2020/09/nao-foi-dessa-vez-que-os-alienigenas-chegaram

http://www.acidadevotuporanga.com.br/cidade/2020/09/populacao-registra-suposto-ovni-em-votuporanga-n63314

1 Like

The sightings are accurate. UFO-alien activity has spiked as humanity plunges toward the abyss. They are among us, watching us, ready to harvest us. It’s tied to the McFood-fueled global obesity epidemic, and Global Warming aka terraforming Earth to suit their reptilioid needs. Human ‘cattle’ are commodity foods. Would you rather be boiled, broiled, fried, or devoured al dente?