Uh-oh. What's up with McCain? He seemed disoriented when questioning Comey today

3 Likes

Someone suggested that McCain had a little too much covfefe with his breakfast this morning.

That would explain it.

20 Likes

It’s a combo of that and this: Should an 80 year old man be in the Senate? I mean that seriously.
My dad is 77 and is sharp as hell. He was a successful engineer since the beginning of Silicon Valley. But for well over a decade, his normal day is some time at the gym, coffee, bocce and maybe a nap. I don’t know if I’d trust him to be on the Intelligence Committee.

11 Likes

I think you can pinpoint it to the day: May 13, 2006. That’s the day that McCain fully buried the hatchet with the religious right and gave the commencement address at Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/13/AR2006051300647.html

It was purely a calculated embrace of the remaining GOP base in preparation for his 2008 campaign. In those days, I remember McCain best from Mavericking it up on Jon Stewart but the Liberty commencement was considered quite shocking at the time. Then came the nomination, Palin, Obama “palling around” with terrorists, ‘Fear Obama’-themed campaign ads and McCain meekly trying to handle attendees at his campaign rallies yelling “Terrorist!” and “Kill him!” while asking bizarre/paranoid/conspiratorial questions.

I don’t think McCain was ever the same after he sold his soul to a devil of sorts at Liberty University.

18 Likes

That’s probably accurate. I threw out 2008 but it happened before then, I didn’t have a (as) huge McCain problem in 2000.

2 Likes

I don’t buy that line of reasoning for one hot second. McCain had a choice. If Palin was his choice, then that’s entirely on his head. If she was the party’s creature, he could have said “no, find me someone better”. Either way, Sarah Palin was entirely on McCain.

Considering that whole mess in light of his questioning today, it looks like your country dodged a bullet in 2008.

2 Likes

There’s also the point that McCain is still to this day defending his choice of Palin and claiming that there’s nothing wrong with the idea of her as President.

4 Likes

Not exactly; it caught up to us in 2016.

12 Likes

Isn’t McCain ex officio on that?

They dodged the bullet in 2008, but failed to stop it.

1 Like

You are correct.
Even more reason for him to be somewhere retired instead of attending to Senate Business.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that theory before as well

Unfortunately 2016 was our “Bonnie and Clyde death scene” year.

6 Likes

This was just McCain going:

BUT HER EMAILS!

Republiturds need to give that up already.

6 Likes

Isn’t that expected for a closed vs. ongoing investigation?

5 Likes

I’d like to think we’re better than the people who come up with grade-school nicknames for the people they don’t like.

4 Likes

but why is it ongoing? why, if it’s “such a big deal” haven’t they finished it already?

also: why is this just about trump? if the russians were trying to influence the election, then why isn’t clinton involved too?

that’s what i think mccain was trying to push.

or, maybe that’s what he was asked to push, so then he played his senior antihistamine baseball moment card.

or, he’s off his rocker.

we report, you decide.

2 Likes

I can see what’s happening here. McCain is desperately trying to build an argument about unjust treatment of Trump in comparison to Clinton, allthewhile knowing that he has no point or strategy.

I guess. Back then I read that it was the first time the FBI publicly revealed its recommendations to prosecutors. And in October he immediately announced to Congress that he had reopened the investigation into Clinton. He did not reveal that there was already an FBI investigation into the Trump campaign.

How long should an investigation take and what are you basing that estimate on? It takes as long as it needs to take which varies depending on the complexity of what’s being investigated (how many people are involved, how hard is it to gather evidence, etc.) and not whether it’s a “big deal”, In fact the importance of this means it needs to be even more thorough and exhaustive which naturally means more time.

It’s not just about Trump. In fact it’s not explicitly about Trump at all. It’s about Russian meddling – whatever that means. But he won and he and his people are running our country now so it’s natural to scrutinize them the most, especially from the media’s perspective (which is the source of all our understanding and confusion about this investigation, not the FBI).

That doesn’t mean that the Clinton campaign has immunity or that anyone from that side isn’t actively being investigated. We just wouldn’t know that at this point. But I’m not even sure why anyone would expect them to be involved in the overall question of whether and how Russia messed with us. The presumed point of the meddling was to get Trump (or people friendly to Trump) into power so would it make sense for the Clinton campaign to be wrapped up in that?