UK advertising regulator bans Demi Lovato album poster as offensive to Christians

Originally published at: UK advertising regulator bans Demi Lovato album poster as offensive to Christians | Boing Boing

4 Likes

These types prefer fainting couches to mattresses of any shape.

24 Likes

If they’re outlawing sexualization of Christian motifs, is Madonna going to be allowed to sell albums? For that matter, is anyone named “Chris” allowed to do something sexy in media?

9 Likes

From Barney & Friends to this? Not judging, but what a character arc.

barney dancing GIF

7 Likes

As a compromise; can we keep it up if we provide a bucket of courtesy clutching pearls for any members of the public unduly affected?

11 Likes

I think it’s a great album cover, though stained mattresses do creep me out.

21 Likes

Or Jesus?

11 Likes

So I assume UK sex toys shops won’t be carrying cross-shaped dildoes or buttplugs now?

6 Likes

Meh; I’ve seen far more salacious imagery in my time. Like @knoxblox already mentioned, the most ‘disturbing’ aspect to me is the apparent mattress stains.

Ew.

18 Likes

let it go GIF

1 Like

Yeah, it looks like somebody already did. :man_shrugging:

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

15 Likes

I think it is a cool looking cover. Kinds surprised it ruffled so many feathers in the UK.

1 Like

It would have been marginally shocking in 1987.

In 2023? Please.

10 Likes

I question whether it’s ruffled the “right” feathers instead of so many.

3 Likes

In fact ‘holy f**k’ is more obscured than ‘holy fvck’, which makes this a really weird quote to read.

8 Likes

I went to the UK in 2004. There were tons of FCUK shirts all around. It is pretty funny 20 years later they are getting upset about an album cover with almost a naughty word on it.

5 Likes

This seems like the endless conservative regime showing what happens when you have uninterrupted power: gradually every body is full of your toadies. And you have so many positions to fill with loyalists that really low quality people are running things.

It’s not the England I remember at all.

9 Likes

This is, honestly, a pretty isolated incident. Right now Revolution-a very common chain of bars-are running an advertising campaign inviting you to be “baptized in vodka” at their Sunday Service. I’ve seen lots of ads in this vein. For what ever reason this poster managed to get the right folks riled. Most similar stuff flies under the radar.

5 Likes

poking the christians to increase media attention NEVER fails.

11 Likes

OH shit - that reminds me about one of my favorite parts about London.

There is (was?) a bar called The Church in London. It was mainly a Kiwi and Aussie bar, that was only open for 4 or 5 hours on Sundays. It closed early so you could get home, sober up, and function for work on Monday.

It took place in an old church, had a raunchy comedian MC, dance music, and both male and female strippers. (Full Monty male strippers!) You bought beer tickets before hand and walk around with a bag full for 4 or 5 beers that would last you most of the time there. Genuinely one of the best clubs I’ve been to (not that I am a huge club guy.) I still have a Rugby shirt!

2 Likes