UK government blocks Scottish law making it easier to change legal gender

Thank fuck the Greens* are sensible:

RR530 The Green Party recognises that there are many gender identities that are within, and outside of, the traditional gender binary of man and woman. The Green Party recognises that trans men are men, trans women are women, and that non-binary identities exist and are valid. We shall respect transgender and non-binary people’s identities as real. The Green Party shall include, and push for further acceptance of, transgender and non-binary people within all areas of society.

(halfway down this page)

*That’s the UK-wide Green party, the Scottish Greens have broadly similar policies

11 Likes

I see they’re discussing it in Holyrood right now, if anybody’s interested.

Starts at about 16:58, with Monica Lennon’s ‘urgent question’.

10 Likes

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

Whenever I see that, my brain insta-fills in Hollywood!

10 Likes

I trust Scotland to come through on the angry Tory hating slogans front. Full confidence.

18 Likes

I guess the opposite of virtue signalling is evil signalling? A wholly intentional choice by the UK government to energize their useful idiots and focus their daily hate.

If it sparked a Scottish separation ‘crisis’ that would distract from the cascading omniclusterfuck that has been the UK Conservative government for the past decade.

13 Likes

Oh yeah, someone should ask Frankie Boyle to contribute a couple.

5 Likes

That’s encouraging, though I do remember @the_borderer saying that the English one (and possibly Welsh), were not doing much about the TERFs in their ranks.

3 Likes

Quite the dystopia, eh? This is definitely a dark time for Britons. If you don’t believe me, read George Monbiot’s recent blog post about the state of their National Health Service….

2 Likes

viciousness signaling

9 Likes

There’s a podcast I listen to - Trash Future - that is a British show talking about politics and the idea that tech alone is not going to fix anything, that has nothing but contempt for the Labor party. As most of the hosts are trans, I am sure this will be furiously discussed in the next episode.

4 Likes

There are times when I despair over the onslaught against trans people. It’s a very heavy load, even when you’re fortunately not being immediately effected by it.

15 Likes

Pig Hug GIF

11 Likes

Let’s not let the US off the hook either:

15 Likes

Temptation Island Hug GIF by Videoland

10 Likes

that’s worked for the Tories for at least the last 50 years, so why stop now!

5 Likes

Frankly a lot of it seems to be making things worse (mostly on the social media side, but elsewhere too)

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know what the latest updates are, south of the border, but certainly it seemed to be getting pretty bad over the last year or two. The leader of the Green Party in England and Wales stepped down in 2021 over the issue, and last year the Scottish Greens opted to cut official ties with their English & Welsh counterparts. I think the Greens of England & Wales will probably get over this bump and sort out the ranks, but it’s been a bit disappointing.

The way the wind is blowing across the UK (Scotland’s doing a bit better but I wouldn’t say we’re actualy doing well, yet) is not good at all for trans people or their friends/families/allies/neighbours. In 2017 the Conservative Prime Minister (Theresa May. God, remember her?) was leading her party in an effort to enact reasonable GRA adjustments in Westminster. Can we imagine anything like that today, only five years later? Sadly, I fear not.

I used to think we just needed to change. Increasingly, I find myself thinking we need to be stopped.

5 Likes

Not clear on who “we” is in that. Can you pls clarify?

4 Likes

I don’t know who submitted that bill but even I, and IANAL can see it’s unconstitutional.

Sorry, you’re right: My own country. The United Kingdom.

So by ‘we’ I mean the UK or at least it’s system of government, and just to be absolutely crystal clear, by ‘stopped’, I do not mean to advocate for any kind of terrorist or military attack, obviously. Just in case MI5 are getting nervous!

(Though perhaps the reason I sometimes wonder about that is because there’s already a very clear movement to get Scotland out of that union anyway, which would obviously reduce its power and impact on the world, and possibly force some kind of chnage among its populace. Bit of a long shot, but I do find my mind wandering, occasionally.)

5 Likes