UK Parliament votes not to leave EU without a deal

[Rant on]You’re not kidding. We’re by turns exasperated at the inability of our politicians to get it together; terrified of not being able to get medicines after the end of the month, infuriated by the public money this vanity exercise is costing, saddened at losing precious connections with our neighbours across the Channel and annoyed by having to fill our homes with bog roll and olive oil just in case just-in-time poops the bed over the summer.

And that’s without the worry that foodstuffs we have learned to rely on over the last thirty years, fruit and vegetables from Spain and the Netherlands particularly, are about to disappear or at least become much more expensive.

The whole thing is just garbage, and even if it is cancelled tomorrow, the effects will be felt for a generation. The United Kingdom is an international laughing stock, and the people responsible for the worst of it will walk away scot-free. We should be charging them with treason for the hurt they have done to this country.[Rant off]

28 Likes

It’s reasonable, after years of negotiation, to offer voters a chance to approve what would actually happen rather than what they were offered in a vague, non-binding in-or-out choice. This entire tiresome shitshow is defined by the fact that no-one even agrees on what “out” would entail!

34 Likes

I totally feel you, being Venezuelan and American I have some strong feelings about inept politicians but i don’t want to derail from the conversation at hand about Brexit. Even if this situation gets resolved in the UK i fear that the political leadership still leaves a lot to be desired, at least from the very little i know of Corbyn and the like.

2 Likes

daffy

FTFY

35 Likes

All old-timey American accents.

It’ll be like a WWII documentary, but with some longer Civil War writing-style “Letters home from the frontlines”.

3 Likes

So… you think complaining about it on the forum will somehow make Rob stop?

Summer%20Child

26 Likes

A properly enlightened result requires properly enlightened voters, and voters in the UK were never properly enlightened as to what Brexit actually means.

9 Likes

UK Parliament votes not to leave EU without a deal

When are the Brits taking back the 13 original colonies? Asking for a friend…

5 Likes

Ooooo non-binding.

You know if they really wanted to preclude a no-deal Brexit it might behoove them to stop rejecting the only deal that will ever be on the table.

4 Likes

Or find another route through.

The “possibility” of a no-deal Hard Brexit will still be 100% unless parliament specifically approves Something Else, won’t it?

It seems like this whole process is designed to let everyone imagine whatever outcome they like right up until the last day, after which most of them will act all surprised and indignant when they don’t get what they wanted.

13 Likes

… said on a thread complaining about Brexit on a site that routinely complains about Trump, inequality, etc, etc.

I get your point. But the worst that can happen is that things stay the same.

Cover their butts while still allowing a hard Brexit.

The level of political cynicism here is rediculous.

3 Likes

It doesn’t bother me, but why subject Guy Verhofstadt to the treatment? Isn’t he fairly honorable by EU leader standards?

Also, don’t they have dentists in Belgium?

2 Likes

Austen

14 Likes

The leave campaign behaved illegally.
The leave campaign outright lied and made impossible promises based on knowing they wouldn’t be the ones to have to try to fulfill them. (E.g. that A50 wouldn’t be triggered until a deal had already been established.)
A second referendum vote was promised over the specific deal that would take the UK out of the EU.
Brexit was never even vaguely defined. (As the last couple years of “Brexit means Brexit” makes clear.)
52% majority isn’t really enough to declare a popular mandate for something as momentous as Brexit (especially since the majority skewed older and enough of those people have subsequently died to bring even that slim win into question).

Yeah, I’d say there’s more than enough justification for throwing out the Brexit referendum results entirely.

33 Likes

I’m rather superstitious about people’s speculations on “the worst that could happen,” or “at least it can’t get any worse.”

It can always get worse, in my experience.

16 Likes

The Brexit conundrum reminds me of this:

ETA: somebody should do a Brexit voiceover of this video “Downfall” style.

10 Likes

9f0b1c67722640991ea2475910a667d5--black-books-fran

No; as others have said, it wouldn’t just be a re-run, and there really might be greater ‘enlightenment’ about what leaving means.

Which doesn’t mean I’m confident about the result changing - this has gone far beyond rationality by now.

It’s worse than that. They weren’t two different plans, it was the same one twice. And it sounds like May is about to try for a third vote on precisely the same deal.

To answer your question: probably.

14 Likes