UK Parliament votes not to leave EU without a deal

Well, it seems to be possible in the House of Commons, which has voted multiple times on the same motions and amendments over the last few months (sometimes deliberately so, in order to make a point.)
May didn’t like the result last time round, so she got MPs to vote on it again. She lost again, and I fully expect her to come back for a third time.

How is that different from “The peasants voted wrong”?

15 Likes

The impression I get is that the hard Brexiters really do think the EU is bluffing; that when it gets to the final moment, the EU will blink first; that they think the UK is so wonderful, so essential to the world economy that Johnny Foreigner will ‘see sense’ and give way.

So they have us all standing on a railway line, waiting for the oncoming train’s headlight to blink.

Sorry; I got the impression you were talking about the public referendum earlier, which I do think is worth revisiting. The situation in Parliament is indeed bizarre.

11 Likes

Which, it appears, she is planning on doing, but only after issuing another ultimatum. There’s a chance it will pass next time simply because the damage is too real to ignore now. The worst case scenario (outside of a No Deal crash-out) would be that it finally passed by one or two votes - because that would be too much like the referendum result for comfort, and this isn’t just a regular bit of government legislation.
Oh, and, of course it can’t be stated too often: this isn’t the end. It isn’t even the beginning of the end. It is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. As someone slightly more statesmanlike than Theresa May once said.

4 Likes

Ha ha, those EU softies care more about Northern Ireland than we do! They won’t let our citizens once again become victims of the terrorism that plagued us for so long.

5 Likes

American here - different band, but the same damn song.

17 Likes

They can call it the “It’s What They Would Have Wanted” Act of 2019.

9 Likes

Like an indulgent parent and a toddler…
May:“Do you want the deal?”
Parliament"NO!"
May:“Do you want no-deal?”
Parliament"NO!"
May"Perhaps if I came back later…"
EU: “Why? the choices won’t be any different tomorrow.”

7 Likes

Am beginning to suspect that the whole UK population is in on the ‘Brexit’ scam which is simply a honkin’ successful viral marketing campaign intended to get the Rest Of The World™ to go into a tizzy paying attention to the UK. When the ersatz brouhaha simmers down, there’s probably some socialized kick backs to the populace and major actors in the sham political movement by way of the resulting bump to tourism and trade once it is “revealed” that, ‘Ha ha!’ just kidding!

1 Like

Yeah I’m in part watching this closely to see if its gonna tank my escape plan. That whole claim Irish/EU citizenship through a grandparent deal might not be as useful if the only European country where I’ve got people turns into a smoking crater of collateral damage.

8 Likes

Boooooo

12 Likes

You think it’s the 2012 Olympics opening except instead of the Olympics, it’s brexit?

The United States of America: “Hold my beer.”

16 Likes

And another wrinkle in the fractal asymptotic garbage fire that is Brexit, tonight’s votes were ‘none-binding’, just like the consultative referendum of 2016.

It’s turtles made of shit all the way down…

9 Likes

Democracy means never having to say you’re sorry.

7 Likes

Putting the “crisis” and “actors” in “crisis actors”, eh?

I wish that were true. In reality, I think it’s more a case of “I said I was going to drive this car over a cliff and by God I’m going to drive this car over a cliff, because if I don’t drive this car over a cliff, no one will ever believe me when I say I’m going to drive a car over a cliff again.”

15 Likes

It is technically not allowed, according to the rules, to ask the UK Parliament to vote on substantially similar versions of the same motion several times in the same session. It is up to the Speaker to ensure that this doesn’t happen. He seems to have let the first repeat slide but it’s not entirely guaranteed that putting a virtually identical version onto the agenda for the third time will fly.

7 Likes

Given that we have almost the entire British political establishment working together to ensure that it gets worse, I’d say that it getting worse is almost a certainty.

9 Likes

If you don’t think drawings boobs and dongs on pictures of people then you’re doing it wrong! :wink:

1 Like

I might have been being silly.

1 Like

So, a step up from high comedy? That sounds like a compliment.

1 Like