UK Political Thread, part the second

Let me remember how this works again, oh yes, you will be forced to celebrate imperialist murderers and slavers becoz freeze peach but gentle contemplation on the unforgivable must be removed becoz woke yada yada cancel culture, leftist mobs trampling on our freedumbs.

Have I got it right?

5 Likes

12 Likes

Does anyone remember when we were warned that Jeremy Corbyn would purge the Labour party of right wingers, and how that never happened?

5 Likes
1 Like

Well, I dunno…

Chap gives job to chap he met at Oxford.

That’s the proper process. How else are chaps supposed to get jobs? See you all at the Drones for snifters later. Pip-pip!

4 Likes

Since my NHS Data Grab thread is now closed i’m putting this bit of good follow-up news here.

The fight goes on.

Masha, I’m sorry, girl, but you don’t understand this thing. Fights like this aren’t fights you win, they’re fights you fight . If we curb the Oakland PD and out Zyz, they’re not all going to take up Buddhism and move to a damn ashram. They’re going to hang around like a bad smell, like Voldemort reassembling his power from the back of some poor asshole’s head, until they can come back for more. This isn’t a thing you do, it’s a thing you commit yourself to. It’s a thing I commit myself to.
-Attack Surface, Cory Doctorow

3 Likes
4 Likes

We got the purges and witch-hunts we wanted. We can say sorry now.

I’m a regular reader of the JC. Like all UK publications they occasionally go too far and run afoul of the fairly strong press restrictions. Generally their coverage of the Labour antisemitism consisted of (correctly) discovering cases where party members were tweeting tropes from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, or supporting other members who did things like this.

In the Wadsworth case, which was actually resolved a couple of months ago, they reported falsely that he spoke at a meeting of an organization called LIEN which supports the ousted Labour members. He didn’t, but it says something about the group that the allegation that he did is considered defamatory.

:frowning_face:

It probably wouldn’t work anyway, the Labour right and the TERs wouldn’t tolerate her as leader.

6 Likes
4 Likes

The BBC burying the lede as usual. The real story here is that the UK government response to “Thousands of flats can’t be sold because they have dangerous cladding” was to eliminate the need for fire safety documents, rather than spend money on fixing the issue.

6 Likes

Well hey, more reasons to hate Keir Starmer:

The Crown Prosecution Service – led at the time by current Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer – immediately relaxed the threshold used to determine whether or not to press charges. Longstanding advice that suspects under the age of 18 should not be tried for minor offences was suspended. Actions normally regarded as theft were treated as burglary so as to ensure maximum jail time.

Cases were pushed from the magistrates’ to the crown courts, ensuring that longer sentences were available and costing minors their right to anonymity in the press. Existing sentencing guidelines were abandoned. And, despite criticisms that he was playing politics, Starmer ordered the courts to stay open 24/7 for emergency sessions.

While political pressure was undoubtedly put on the police and on the courts, many of these emergency innovations were the result of the justice system taking the initiative. It was, to borrow sociologist Carly Lightowlers and legal scholar Hannah Quirk’s phrase, a moment of “prosecutorial zeal and judicial abandon”. And it culminated in over 2,000 people facing jail terms which were four and a half times longer than those same offences would normally warrant.

2 Likes

This article isn’t really that surprising. Northern man regurgitates Tory propaganda in the Torygraph.

I’m posting it here because I noticed something nobody in the commentariat has picked up on and I’m not on Twitter, so cannot spread my hot take:

the guy complaining about the metropolitan elite….is a literal metropolitan.

5 Likes

Woah there, he’s an Essex Lad promoted to the #2 position in the C of E, which happens to get you a house in York.

Given he’s automatically in the Lords, he’s got way more claim to be a Londoner than a Tyke. I’m not looking up his voting record just yet to make that point :smiley:

1 Like

Heh, I knew someone would get hung up on the “Northern” part…

2 Likes

Baroness Dido “Queen of Carnage” Harding will step down from her role as NHS Improvement chair in October.

The news, first broken by HSJ, comes two months after Harding applied, without success, to be the new NHS England boss – a role taken up by Amanda Pritchard as of 1 August.

[…]

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Now if only the British establishment had an equality policy on terrorism…

5 Likes