UK Political Thread, part the second

Rated by smell or where it sits on the Bristol stool chart?

2 Likes

Well, when you’ve hit bottom, there’s only one place to go.

Sideways, in the true third way style.

5 Likes

contrast on one of today’s front pages:

9 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes

:thinking: Wasn’t this a key part of a plot from a movie a while back?

A society where any encounter with the police can lead to an arbitrary detention can rapidly become a society where arbitrary resistance to that detention becomes the norm. Then it comes down to who is the biggest gang. They might want to consider how well that’s working in places like :mexico: and :ru:.

8 Likes

It’s not looking too great online either…

Oh no.

4 Likes

“Gove wanted to be a maximalist on leaseholder reform, but we simply haven’t got time to be maximalist right now.” [before the next election]

I’m always surprised how venal politics in the UK are. They don’t even pretend they’re doing this to make lives better for their citizens. It’s just about power.

6 Likes

To be generous to the unnamed Conservative (which is not my default position) they may be referring to a shortage of Parliamentary time before the election. There’s lots of Brexity stuff still clogging things up, and there may not be capacity for a maximalist bill before the next election is due. As everyone expects the Tories to lose (and so lose the power to pass anything) after the election, that would make working on a large bill a bit pointless.

5 Likes
7 Likes

promising to change his party’s ‘DNA’

I never thought that the leader of the Labour Party could be a Marvel villain

10 Likes

Late in 2002 Lady Thatcher came to Hampshire to speak at a dinner for me. Taking her round at the reception one of the guests asked her what was her greatest achievement. She replied, “Tony Blair and New Labour. We forced our opponents to change their minds.”

https://conservativehome.blogs.com/centreright/2008/04/making-history.html

10 Likes
5 Likes

“I’m a Tory, really,” he said, surprising absolutely fucking nobody.

10 Likes

Suddenly, his reasoning for opposing PR is crystal clear.

6 Likes

Fascist rally interrupted.

5 Likes
1 Like

As if mindlessly copying policies from the American far-right didn’t actually work!

He actually admitted to it being a ploy to disenfranchise opposition voters, too!

7 Likes

It’s bad, I know, no matter who it affects, but the notion of puce-faced, blustering Tory gammons being turned away from the ballot box does amuse me.

I shall endeavour to be a better person

10 Likes