UK Political Thread, part the second

Nah, we shouldn’t be encouraging racist ham to vote, you’re good.

9 Likes

Wait… he said this part out loud?! These people aren’t half as smart as they think they are.

7 Likes

Regardless of what the Nat-Cs say or don’t say, I would have thought that was readily apparent to anyone who has even slightly been paying attention over the last 13 years of this clusterfuck…

5 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

Frankly, I had expected this much sooner.

Coming up next: “Mini”, aka BMW. Or Tata.

4 Likes

We’ve already seen impacts to car manufacturing in the UK

Back in 2021 we had this:

And there’s already talk of the Nissan plant in Sunderland closing

Sunderland, being notable of course as the first part of the UK to return a ‘leave’ vote on referendum night in 2016.

7 Likes

I just wish these companies were brave enough to outright say that this is Brexit and the voters just have to blame themselves.

7 Likes

Dyson moans about state of UK science and tech, forgets to suck up his own mess

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

So Tata would get half of the current automotive transformation fund?
Yeah, that will make the other automakers happy.

3 Likes

Recalling this from January, if only there was some kind of crystal ball

Britishvolt: UK battery start-up collapses into administration - BBC News.

5 Likes
1 Like

DUP flat, UUP and SDLP down exactly as many seats as SF are up,alliance up and left/green parties down that amount.

Interestingly the rise in non-sectarian parties that weren’t focusing on that has stopped. People Before Profit and Greens both had green shoots but Alliance seems to have eaten their vote. They won’t have gone to SF as they have lurched to the centre in the last couple of years and their green credentials are fully gone now. DUP have none so I can’t see the necessary reforms in farming having a hope in NI (not in Ireland itself, not an hope) even if the government restarts. Economically DUP’s only policy is handouts from Westminster which is why they went hard on Brexit. I don’t really know what an SF led government would be able to do while it is tied to the anchor of Brexit which genuinely stymies the potential to grow the NI economy. More so probably than any other part of the UK.

4 Likes

Keir Starmer’s techno-fix for the NHS: Déjà vu disaster or brave new blunder?

Around 20 years after the largest public sector technology disaster in UK history began a £12 billion contracting escapade, they’re at it again.

“They” being the Labour Party, and “it” a promise to fix the NHS with the magic of “technology.”

[…]

“There is another change that could totally reframe the NHS and how it operates, and save money,” the opposition leader opined, as if staring dreamily into the distance, consumed by a vision of a better future he alone could see.

That change, you ask? “Moving from an analogue system to a fully digital NHS. The NHS is in pole position to take advantage of advances in science and technology, if only ministers realised it,” Sir Keir said.

Yes, yes. If only some minister had – in the 25 years since the dotcom boom brought the elixir of IT bubbling to the top of the business and political agenda – thought that the NHS could be made more efficient using tech investment.

The problem is they have. Several times. And it has not ended well.

[…]

None of this means technology cannot help the NHS. The technology can be improved, and it might even produce efficiencies if correctly specified. But hoping you can use technology to magic away deep-seated and complex organizational problems is a fool’s errand. And you could make it worse.

8 Likes

That sounds medieval.

1 Like