UK Political Thread, part the second

I’ve got to say I was impressed with what happened last week. Al de Piffle received the report and realised he was going to be suspended for more than ten days. This would have triggered a recall petition and a by election he would have humiliatingly lost, probably ending his political career and aura of popularity. He then resigned. His parting whinge notwithstanding this was a Conservative Party majority committee stabbing him.
His henchpeople also resigned as, while the government accepted the names for “ennoblement” or whatever that was handed to it the commission culled Al’s list by half. Half of his parting shot fuck you to the people of Britain were deemed unfit for the House of Lords (which is where Margaret Thatcher promoted the worst paedophiles and rapists in her cronysphere).

Looking on from Ireland that is some fucking impressive operation of checks and balances and some accountability that gives me real hope for the survival of democracy in Britain.

Our Standards in Public Office committee is deliberately useless and appointments to the upper chamber have no fitness for office check. We really need to learn from this.

10 Likes

It [also] recommends the former PM should not get a pass which allows ex-MPs to access Parliament after they leave.

8 Likes

Which is Parliamentese for “… and don’t let the door to the House hit your arse on your way out.”

7 Likes

“…and stay out!”

7 Likes

Looking at the details, it’s utterly damning.

Key quote:

The committee said before Mr Johnson announced he was quitting as an MP, it had wanted to recommend suspending him from for more than 10 days.
This would have meant he would potentially have faced a by-election in his Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency.
The report also revealed two of the committee’s MPs, the SNP’s Allan Dorans and Labour’s Yvonne Fovargue, wanted to expel him from the Commons - but were outvoted.
Expulsion is extremely rare in Parliament’s history, having occurred only three times in the last hundred years or so.
But suspending him is no longer an option, given that he’s already stood down as an MP in his blistering resignation statement last week.
However, the report says that now, given what he’s said about the committee, they would have recommended a ban of 90 days - an extremely long ban by the standards of recent years.

5 Likes

It’s the lies. It’s always the lies. Politicians who have been publicly shamed over Covid hypocrisy are those who lied through their arses about it.

9 Likes

Private Eye is understandably upset that he’s leaving Parliament
Private Eye boris

11 Likes

It must be nice to have a alter ego. Do you think Alexander Johnson feels any shame about Boris?

4 Likes

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

I doubt it.

6 Likes

There was a similar haiku written to console TFG on his 2020 loss:
HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA fucker

8 Likes
6 Likes

It’s horrible, it’s like all those countries we used to invade; the heat isn’t supposed to be here.

13 Likes
6 Likes

I don’t know how Jonathan Pie keeps doing it, time after time. I’m in awe.

4 Likes
1 Like
8 Likes

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

6 Likes

Yeah. The Oxford group behind the first vaccine said they’d put in for funding for research on this novel design of vaccine, but there was no interest until the pandemic.

I just drove past a sign telling you to observe social distancing. Those signs have lasted longer than the funding.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Potentially 4 by-elections (if Nadine Dorries ever actually leaves, she says she wants to discover why she was denied an honour – a glutton for punishment).

5 Likes