UK Political Thread, part the second

So she’ll be the next Tory Party leader then?

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the only reason the Tories don’t like Nazis is because they were German.

Is that confirmation that she doesn’t think we’re human?

@politeruin
I think Nye Bevan was too polite and restrained. Vermin serve an important ecological purpose, which is far more than I can say for Tories.

6 Likes

Well, to be fair, he is saying they are lower than vermin which allows one’s imagination free reign to decide what order of parasite they are best compared to. :thinking:

6 Likes

Nearly 80 years later, I would say that they are lower than Jimmy Savile, but I know Nye didn’t have that reference to work with.

6 Likes

Oh no: everyone has the right to aspire to a better life. Just like everyone has the right to aspire to winning the jackpot Powerball.

It’s just that she has made it her life’s mission to do everything in her power to make sure that your aspirations will never be realised.

4 Likes

There is really not much new in this write-up of the conservative conference, even though it is well written. I’m posting it because of this one passage, which I had not heard about before:

Mark Harper, the transport secretary, was once reputed to stand on the sensible wing of his party. On Monday he told Tory delegates he was “calling time on the misuse of so-called 15-minute cities”, which he characterised as a “sinister” plot by local authorities to ration road use and monitor shopping habits with CCTV. The 15-minute city is a harmless concept for pedestrian-friendly urban planning – except in the twisted imaginations of far-right conspiracy theorists and, it seems, Sunak’s cabinet.

This is a cabinet minister literally embracing (and therefore also legitimising) QAnon-style conspiracy theories! Absolutely shocking

9 Likes

Job application

1 Like

Well of course. That was Churchill’s perspective (good ideas, bad that a German has them) and why he loved Mussolini. It’s also absolutely at the core of Rees Mogg’s response to being accused of fascism: he’s English and better.

Mind you I’ve long said that those of us whose countries didn’t flip fascist in the mid 20th century need to understand how that was contingency rather than some structural “national character” as the fascists in our countries like to imagine. Being proved right about something I’ve been banging on about since I was a kid has seldom been less pleasurable.

12 Likes

London Assembly Member Andrew Boff interrupted Mrs Braverman as she described “gender ideology” as “poison”.

Mr Boff said the comments were “trash” adding: “There’s no such thing as gender ideology.”

He was swiftly pulled out of the auditorium by security staff.

11 Likes

These are the people that the English Conservative Party are pandering to:

As an aside I do love how the historians, spooks, and think tankers communicate “science” as being “beyond reasonable doubt”: wrong domain chums. Off you potter to the courts to waste other people’s time.

4 Likes

Yup.

9 Likes

Kicking Woke Ideology Out Of Science

I think I’ve heard this one before

12 Likes

World War 3 will be just like World War 2, but everybody changed sides.

6 Likes

9 Likes

The Tories.

13 Likes

Tories unveil new logo

12 Likes

I love it. But also, ouch.

11 Likes

7 Likes

I mean I LOLed but inside I am crying

8 Likes

Saoirse Ronan Bingo GIF by A24

6 Likes

Or I should have said as well, some kind of inbuilt resiliency/resistance/betterness of the political systems which stopped your country turning fascist. I mean it’s the same thing, people who think that about their country ultimately just think they are better than Johnny Foreigner which is precisely the mindset of Rees-Mogg: he’s a racist, imperialist, nationalist.

And by your I do mean our. With Ireland it was really easy to see the historical accidents which made fascism not take off.

ETA just for why not: the most nationalist were not the right wing.

6 Likes