UK Political Thread, part the second

Is there any other country where half the newspaper articles are written in the future tense? I feel like this trend is very telling: it’s all based on briefings and spin and an uncomfortable closeness between people in media and government.

ETA: This isn’t a rhetorical question. I can’t think of this ever happening in German, Norwegian or US news, which are the other ones I read at least semi-regularly

5 Likes

Will he be talking about how sad his mother was to not get all of the ivory and diamonds?

4 Likes

How bad is SNP if you choose the Tories?

1 Like

How bad is Lisa Cameron if she thinks the Conservatives match her values?

9 Likes

She’s a forced birther TER. I don’t think this is the SNP’s problem.

10 Likes

Well, that answers the

question.

7 Likes

A malfunctioning cannon to swat a fly. (Unless the racism is by design? :thinking:)

Now, a software researcher, who also happens to be a college student at a school that uses Proctorio, says she can prove the Proctorio software is using a facial detection model that fails to recognize Black faces more than 50 percent of the time.

5 Likes

Key quote:

In notes that appeared on the inquiry screen Johnson scribbled “bollocks” on one and on another said: “Do we really believe in long Covid. Why can’t we hedge it more. I bet it is complete Gulf War Syndrome.”

4 Likes

What now- oh, just arresting dissidents for having the wrong opinions:

Strongly reminiscent of the end of the Major years, even down to Tamworth having a similar shock change of hands in 1996.

5 Likes

By an uncanny coincidence, I found this post immediately after finishing this thread:

(Couldn’t get link to work, hence pic)

2 Likes

That never happens in Finnish language newspapers. There’s no separate future tense in Finnish.

7 Likes

Heh heh. But that is not the same thing, of course. That article is based on a warning the judiciary has given Trump’s team what will happen if they don’t comply. The journalist just extrapolates from that.

The British version of “PM to say X at press conference tomorrow” is based on government giving briefings with advance copies of speeches given to the press. Of course that allows them to control the narrative by choosing who gets the exclusive (it’s not a good look to exclude press you don’t like from a press conference, but nobody bats an eye if only your public school chums at your preferred newspaper get a briefing a day early).

It also allows them to get across the speech itself rather than what happens at a press conference, where it might be the case that journalists write more about how it was delivered, or who was and wasn’t present or even which critical questions were asked from the journalist audience. It allows them to tightly control the narrative.

I suspect it also gives them a bit of wiggle room if there are discrepancies between the published advance version and the speech. People will remember the first version they read, so if the actual speech omits something and they later get called out on it, they can say that the advance copy was simply inaccurate. It’s all very Thick of It.

This kind of briefing culture does, to the best of my knowledge, not exist in any other country (though I wouldn’t be surprised if other commonwealth countries with close political and media ties, e.g. Australia, had it as well).

4 Likes

How in the world does that work? I’m dying to know.

4 Likes

Extended present. English can do it too:

“What are you doing over the next month?”
“Well, tomorrow I visit the museum, and next week I get a new job, then after that I go to Paris.”

8 Likes

Japanese doesn’t have a future tense either, so sentences in present tense will include an adjective indicating frequency or else be presumed to be about the future.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Seriously what the actual fuck?

Archive link for not giving clicks to the Murdoch empire:
https://archive.ph/mfvtB

2 Likes

I assume the WTF is for the tradition of them having Chinese people do their laundry?