UK Political Thread, part the second

It’s a few things-
First of all, that the Navy has a servant class on board its ships to “wash and press sailor’s uniforms and officers’ white tablecloths.” in this day and age
Then, it’s the fact that this menial position is “traditionally” allocated on ethnicity. and that choice is in line with a crass stereotype.
Oh, and the reason for this particular division will probably be because they can get away with paying these people less than if the task was given to british sailors.
Then, there’s the way these people were just discarded when their nationality became inconvenient,
And finally, there’s the tone of the whole article- “those dastardly foreigners have spoiled this charming tradition”.

There’s layers to this shit, and it doesn’t get any better as you go down it.

7 Likes

Ah, so WTF cubed.

I wonder how much of this is still present in other aspects of British society that are subject to less public scrutiny?

4 Likes

The revolving door job agency doing its job, Tories being Tories.

Sir Brandon said his work as an MP is “undimmed” by the extra roles.

Because he his not doing his job.

6 Likes

Crispin Blunt has tweeted that he is the subject.

4 Likes

If he is forced to resign from parliament because of this, it makes him the fifth Conservative MP to resign because of sex scandals since the last election.

The others are:
Neil Parish
Chris Pincher
David Warburton
Imran Ahmad Khan

And there’s still over a whole year until the next election has to be called.

4 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

Typical UK government response- “There’s a problem with hatred and discrimination. Obviously the work of foreigners

4 Likes

The met are at it again.

3 Likes

Recently I’ve been watching the series by Steve McQueen, Small Axe. Mangrove was a punch in the stomach, even knowing what absolute bastards the Met were (and remain, as this news continues to prove).

2 Likes

I feel so much hatred on behalf of the bereaved families, some who attended the inquiry, having to sit and listen to the culture of narcissism and cruelty from pricks like Cummings and Johnson and all the rest of them that failed to prevent more deaths.

6 Likes

I’ve thought about what I’d like to do to him, but I’m not a violent person, if I ever have the displeasure of encountering him, I will say “Your many children don’t love you, and millions will read your obituary with pleasure”

6 Likes

Caribbean nations demand reparations from King Charles for royal connection to slave trade | PBS NewsHour

5 Likes

My single line obituary for de Pfeffel will be “I hated you more than I hated Maggie, and I never thought that was possible”.

8 Likes

Could be in the assholes thread, AI, Billionaire/oligarch, or fuck the paedo skum, but here it is and: ouch!

2 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

World leaders ink AI safety pacts while Musk and Sunak engage in awkward bromance

[…]

Bringing to a close the UK’s AI Safety Summit yesterday was the unedifying spectacle of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak interviewing tycoon Elon Musk, the world’s richest man.

Beginning with nauseating sycophancy, Sunak read Musk a Bill Gates quote, saying there was no one in our time who had done more to push the boundaries of science and innovation than the Tesla CEO. It’s perhaps a shame Musk doesn’t seem to share the same respect for Gates. Perhaps not.

[…]

[Sky News TV journalist Sam] Coates said Sunak didn’t see Musk as a political force prone to voicing views on Ukraine war and Gaza/Israel, with interests in the politically powerful Starlink satellite system, and failed to challenge him. Instead, Sunak focused on “selling Britain to this guy who is already the richest man in the world” in the hope Musk’s celebrity sheen might rub off on him.

Obviously feeling out of the spotlight and to prove her cruelty credentials as the temperature drops

2 Likes

Well i certainly wish that was the case… Somehow i have extreme doubt…

2 Likes