UK Political Thread, part the second

Maybe the peerage comes next?

3 Likes

Still a face like a schoolboy’s slapped arse in a British children’s comic from my childhood.

On the plus side he won’t be pushing to leave the European Convention on Human Rights.

4 Likes

It has to be- He’s no longer an MP, and you have to be an MP or a lord to be in the cabinet.

5 Likes

Already done and dusted. He’s called Lord Cameron in the updated article above. Ugh

2 Likes

UK government loses case

The British Government’s plan to deport migrants to Rwanda is unlawful, the Supreme Court has ruled.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-67418363

7 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah but… they are planning to pass a law ro make it legal and have started whining about “foreign courts” (remember the Council of Europe was set up by Britain among others and Britain had an outsize role in setting up the rules and institutions) to the extent they are promising to defy the European Court of Human Rights (not leave just yet).

Apparently Sunak and Britain’s patience has run thin (it’s normal all around the world to write laws that don’t break human rights conventions Rishi, do the work up front and write one that isn’t illegal!). They are throwing all their toys out of the pram and planning to spend tens of millions to deal with a few hundred refugees. In a time when Britain is suffering from acute labour shortages that are crippling their economy and ordinary Britons are worse off than in living memory. Is this really that big a deal in Britain? Immigration is low, asylum seeking is low, it needs young people to work and pay the pensions.

I’ve mentioned before that I have listened to BBC on the web and there’s been this shocking focus on “small boats crisis”, which is just as petty and insular as it sounds, but are people actually buying that refried Tory shit? It’s beyond parody how low down the list of priorities having a few migrants should be. And it isn’t many at all.

ETA
The “foreign court “ that passed the judgment is the UK Supreme Court.

But rationality, the law, and the truth are foreign countries to the Conservatives.

9 Likes

Glad to see ( /s ) My opinion of the Tories to be ‘one step worse than i can imagine’ continues…

I kinda miss when i could predict their actions really well (imagine the worst possible you think they could get away with). Now it’s always much worse.

They’ve gotten so bad i can’t even mentally roleplay their views anymore :confused:

5 Likes

Like the Bible says, “the racist will always be with you.” Pretty sure that’s from the Bible anyway.

4 Likes

It matters to the people who are going to vote tory.
Latest polls have “Immigration and Asylum” as the #1 issue amongst people who voted for them at the last election. Ahead of the economy, and the health service. Sadly, it’s a core issue to the folks who would vote tory, and has been ever since the issue was weaponised back in the 2005 election

1 Like
4 Likes

"The entirety of the HRA, ECHR and other relevant international obligations, or legislation, including the Refugee Convention, must be disapplied by way of clear “notwithstanding” clauses.
Judicial Review, all common law challenges, and all injunctive relief, including the suspensive challenges available under the Illegal Migration Act must be expressly excluded.”

I saw this quote supposedly from Bravwrman today (her article in the Torygraph but their site is such a torrent of trackers I don’t go there any more to find out). Is that possible? Can parliament prohibit judicial review? If parliament can suspend habeus corpus it’s fucking over and environmental protestors are going in camps.

5 Likes

It’s possible in Braverman-world – derogating sections of ECHR is possible in times of war and emergency, but the relevant section (that nobody should be subjected to torture or to inhuman treatment) cannot be. Leaving ECHR entirely is not practicable without dismantling many other agreements and treaties.
Does that mean that she wouldn’t try it?

6 Likes

She’s a barrister with a French masters in European law. I am not an expert on UK constitutional law but I imagine parliament could get rid of that pesky power to challenge laws themselves in judicial review without too much difficultly in the UK, it only exists by a thread anyway. This seems to go much further and deny all forms of judicial review including such things as habeus corpus which relates to the case not the process itself. In other words individual protection of the law in general is to be thrown out in order to deny overall protection of. The law in a small number of very specific cases.

Obviously the Torygraph will print any kind of fascist shite but it’s still staggering to see such a senior politician saying the fascism so loud and being handed a megaphone by billionaires.

5 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

The country that invented Skynet doesn’t want to regulate AI?

shocked philip j fry GIF

5 Likes

The weird Barclays (see loads of Private Eyes passim) have been booted, the Torygraph is in receivership (so is the Spectator).

Another problem (that helps the Tories) is that there are noises from various signatories to ECHR promoting the same thing, sending asylum seekers to a third party for assessment, and visibly the EU using North Africa for similar purposes (with little or no provision for the safety of the asylum seekers).

4 Likes

Analysts estimate the titles [Telegraph / Spectator] to be worth around ÂŁ500m, though a wealthy buyer keen to acquire the Telegraph as a trophy asset may pay in excess of that figure.

Trophy asset? A certain name comes to mind; luckily he seems to be preoccupied with other things these days.

4 Likes

Sunak’s “Emergency” legislation looks to be (like so much from this govt.) performative, for dull, technical but binding reasons it needed to be placed before parliament on the 17th Nov at the lastest.

7 Likes